UTSW (Full Tuition) vs UCSF vs WashU with a SO twist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you are interested in academia, then unfortunately pedigree does matter, and the Harvard/Stanford/UCSF names definitely do carry weight in that regard. I say that it wouldn't be fair to either of you because you both have much stronger choices to choose from, and overlooking those choices just so that you could live together/go to the same medical school seems like a waste in my opinion. You'll have plenty of opportunities to spend time together if you both live in the Bay (+ it'll be a lot more fun being together in the Bay than in Dallas imo, and I'm saying that as someone who is very familiar with and fond of both places).

You'd definitely still be able to have an academic career coming from UTSW of course, but the truth is that the the top researchers in whatever field you will go decide to go into are more likely to be at places like UCSF/Harvard/Stanford. All 3 of these places are known to have waaaay more HHMI and similarly recognized researchers compared to peer institutions.
I can't thoroughly speak to the comments about UTSW, but I've talked to a lot of trusted faculty members at Stanford SOM (where I work) about UCSF and WashU among other schools on my list. They have all echoed the sentiment that these schools are top-tier and will open many doors for students interested in academia and competitive specialties. However, one of the current fellows in our program went to UTSW for medical school, Brigham and Women's for residency and fellowship, and is now doing 2nd fellowship at Stanford. Obviously, this is anecdotal but I wouldn't let the prestige of Harvard/Stanford/UCSF/WashU cause you to overlook the great UTSW deal you both are getting.

My partner and I have been also going back and forth about choosing UCSF, WashU, or some other schools, and finances + quality of life during medical school are huge factors for us. We like the Bay area but it is sooooo expensive compared to other places and it is far from our families. We will try to negotiate with UCSF for aid (hoping it makes a difference) but our COA offer at WashU is becoming more and more appealing! No debt and being able to live comfortably (because of affordable housing and low COL) in St. Louis seems amazing. Whether you both get the aid at WashU or go with the package at UTSW despite it not being "top", both would offer a solid quality of life without having long commutes, tiny apartments, or having to do a long-distance relationship.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
In the spirit of transparency, I ran a very detailed and comprehensive cost-analysis comparing cost of attendance given our specific circumstances and resources (scholarships, financial aid, family support). As a couple, over four years, the numbers came out to:
1. UTSW-UTSW: around +114K
2. UCSF-Stanford: around -43K
3. WashU-WashU: around -113K
4. Stanford-Stanford (if @MercifulCamper got off WL): around -204K

It’s pretty clear that choices 3 and 4 are completely out of the picture unless WashU comes through with scholarships. At this point, we are deciding whether we want to go into (what we consider) manageable debt given two doctor salaries OR live like royalty in Dallas lol

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Full transparency that I got a small scholarship at UCSF which made it slightly more affordable hence the above calculation ^

Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all will thrive professionally no matter where you go, but at this point just decide based on where you both wanna be. We've all discussed all of the pros and cons in depth.

You've seen arguments for each of these schools. I don't think there's a whole lot more that anybody on SDN can add at this point. Just trust your guts and go where you believe y'all will be happiest (*whatever* that means to y'all).

Oh, and please update us bc we're all at least a little invested at this point lol

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
It sounds like you both are not aiming for very competitive residencies, and I think UTSW would let you match in CA for residency and prepare you well for coming back to TX and doing what you want in your career. Vacationing in the Bay Area is an option too with the money saved, while having as nice of living arrangements as you want in Dallas.

Have you received a merit and are trying to match or are waiting to hear about a merit at all?
Waiting to hear about merit. I asked them to match and said they would do what they can to get me to WashU

Waiting to hear about merit. I asked them to match and said they would do what they can to get me to WashU
Gotcha! From what gathered at second look, all of their current merit aid is distributed and they're gonna wait until people who were already offered start to withdraw. I hope that negotiating sways them for you!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Gotcha! From what gathered at second look, all of their current merit aid is distributed and they're gonna wait until people who were already offered start to withdraw. I hope that negotiating sways them for you!
Yeah, I really liked WashU, but if the money doesn't work out I don't know if I can go there. That being said a half-tuition scholarship would likely sway us towards WashU and away from UCSF/Stanford and UTSW.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I really liked WashU, but if the money doesn't work out I don't know if I can go there. That being said a half-tuition scholarship would likely sway us towards WashU and away from UCSF/Stanford and UTSW.
Big news! So Wash U is #1, all things being equal!? I love it! Wishing all the best for you. I know you both will do amazing things wherever you land, but it's always dope to land where you feel the greatest connection. Excited to see how it pans out!

• Love

With these projections from @beansncheese does a half aid from WashU even get you close to the USCF/Stanford number, let alone the UTSWx2 value? Seems like it'd need to be a full ride to make sense no and even then UTSW would still be cheaper?

Your partner going to the same school as you is huge—usually a big plus but it can also be a negative. UTSW is a very competitive environment. A level of competition or even resentment can develop insidiously between the two of you that is not healthy. Also, what happens if you two unfortunately break up? Awkward for 4 years.
The UCSF/Stanford situation may be ideal. Live together but have separate medical school lives. Sometimes a little separation is healthy. It’s almost like the real world. The two spouses shouldn’t work together. (So even if you get into Stanford, you still should consider going to UCSF instead).

Factor #2:
You want to return to Texas for fellowship, and—presumably— settle down there (?).
So this is very possibly your one and only opportunity in your whole life to live in the Bay Area. Why not go for it? You’ll have no problem getting into a fellowship in Texas from a prestigious med school like UCSF or Stanford.
I think this is a great post. From a pure relationship perspective I definitely there is some value to be had by attending different schools that are close by. Slightly varied social circles, study materials, and day to day drama would be nice to keeping the relationship fresh and conversations new. Obviously going to the same school holds a lot of positives as well but I think if I stayed together with my gf (we ended up in schools on opposite sides of the country RIP) a situation like UCSF/Stanford would have been pretty ideal.

With these projections from @beansncheese does a half aid from WashU even get you close to the USCF/Stanford number, let alone the UTSWx2 value? Seems like it'd need to be a full ride to make sense no and even then UTSW would still be cheaper?

Half aid would be around +150 K so it would be 0 dollars with parental support to go there. Also @beansncheese found that her aid was full COA so the true WashU sticker price at the moment is -56 K so just a bit more expensive than UCSF/Stanford, which is tough because St. Louis being more expensive than the Bay Area is kind of funny lol

Reactions: 1 user
Were y'all at second look for WashU? All I can say is that I went in with hesitation because I had never been to St. Louis. I walked away feeling super supported and fell in love with the community. Would love to see you two as fellow classmates!

• Love
Were y'all at second look for WashU? All I can say is that I went in with hesitation because I had never been to St. Louis. I walked away feeling super supported and fell in love with the community. Would love to see you two as fellow classmates!

We loved our second look experience at WashU. I also loved my second look experience at UCSF but my partner had a luke warm experience at Stanford. We also loved our experience at UTSW but our reservation about UTSW is our ability to couples match into strong programs together at UTSW vs our other options but the money is much better there.

We loved our second look experience at WashU. I also loved my second look experience at UCSF but my partner had a luke warm experience at Stanford. We also loved our experience at UTSW but our reservation about UTSW is our ability to couples match into strong programs together at UTSW vs our other options but the money is much better there.
I am shocked about lukewarm experience at Stanford! I have known Stanford students who cancelled all their applications and interviews in November when they got in early to their med school because they liked it so much.

Note: I updated the thread title to reflect my withdrawal of acceptance from Yale and acceptance to /serious consideration of WashU.

After a month of deliberation we've chosen to go the UCSF/Stanford route. Thanks to everyone for all the insight you've given and I wish y'all all the best.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 38 users
After a month of deliberation we've chosen to go the UCSF/Stanford route. Thanks to everyone for all the insight you've given and I wish y'all all the best.
So dope!! Congratulations! Enjoy every second of it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user