UTSW Ophtho Away

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremd16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I go to med school in the Midwest. I've heard that applicants seem to be getting more interviews from their home region. I would love to match at UTSW, but that's just from reading about it. It seems that residents have a lot of autonomy. Would an away rotation there in September/October help increase my chances of receiving an interview from them and from other southern programs? I'm not sure how much contact I would have with the PD and attendings due to so much resident autonomy. How do I go about asking that question to the coordinators of the programs I'm thinking of doing aways at?
Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I go to med school in the Midwest. I've heard that applicants seem to be getting more interviews from their home region. I would love to match at UTSW, but that's just from reading about it. It seems that residents have a lot of autonomy. Would an away rotation there in September/October help increase my chances of receiving an interview from them and from other southern programs? I'm not sure how much contact I would have with the PD and attendings due to so much resident autonomy. How do I go about asking that question to the coordinators of the programs I'm thinking of doing aways at?
Thank you in advance.

As anyone will tell you, doing an away rotation is not a way to guarantee yourself an interview. If you're good, it may help your chances. If you are annoying, don't know much about ophthalmology, don't have good grades, etc. -- you may just make your chances worse. I would suggest, if you plan on doing an away, to first do a rotation at your home institution so that you can learn as much as you can.

I agree with what you said. I will be doing couple of home ophtho rotations and wouldn't do aways until September and October. I guess my question is - how do I know which programs will allow me to work closely with attendings vs not be in the sight of the PD? Just by word of the mouth? Would it be rude to ask the coordinator/secretary of the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
In general, I would not recommend doing away rotations anywhere unless you have a specific reason to go there and want them to take a closer look at you (and are exceptional which most med students are not).

I agree with what you said. I will be doing couple of home ophtho rotations and wouldn't do aways until September and October. I guess my question is - how do I know which programs will allow me to work closely with attendings vs not be in the sight of the PD? Just by word of the mouth? Would it be rude to ask the coordinator/secretary of the program?

You can ask program coordinator about the structure of the rotation. I kind of agree with dantt. However if you can accept that going to UTSW is gonna make you or brake you for the match and you still really want to go then go. Away rotations are good experiences. In general I caution you about #1s and dreams prior to interview offers. Interview invites are often random.

As a UTSW residency graduate, can probably shed some light on this question at least at it relates to UTSW. The program director generally discourages away rotations for the applicants from UTSW, but does still offer away rotations to students from other med schools. Durign the rotation, you spend a lot of time with the residents, but do also have several half days with various faculty in their clinics. Each rotator does a grand rounds presentation with the help of one of the residents. Grand rounds are well attended by key faculty, and this would be your major chance to make a positive impression. I think almost all rotators were granted an interview, however I'm not sure how much the rotation increased your chance of matching. I thought in general those who gave an excellent grand rounds seemed to be well regarded and likely more likely to match, however do recall one excellent student who rotated and gave a great grand rounds, yet still did not match here despite ranking us first. The main reason to do an away rotation here would be to see how you feel that you would fit with the program philosophy of rapidly increasing autonomy, very busy (but efficient) clinics, etc.

Thank you everyone for your responses! I guess I'm just getting mixed signals. Some have told me to do aways and most of you guys have said not to. I understand both perspectives, and I'll ask my school's PD and see what he suggests. Thank you, all!