UTSW vs. Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reanox24

Reaction score
Looking at potentially doing ophtho, really prioritize clinical learning

UTSW
Pros
  • World class clinical education
  • Students that I have met are super nice and have gone above and beyond to answer my questions and help me
  • Admin seems very nice
  • Fantastic experience at second look weekend
  • T20 ophtho program with a focus on clinical education (which I personally like)
  • 6 of 9 ophtho residents that matched last year at UTSW did their med school at UTSW
  • Highly ranked and regarded within medicine
  • Slightly better professional opportunities for SO
Cons
  • Large class size
  • In-house exams
  • "Very-work hard" med school (which is the con that comes from having a world-class clinical education)
  • Steep competition
  • COA with SO ~$250k

Einstein
Pros
  • Tuition free (COA with SO ~$120k)
  • Affordable student housing
  • Transitioning to NBME exams
  • Access to NYC
  • Going to rise in rank
  • Ability to matriculate with semi-normal Einstein class before it rises in rank
  • Chill schedule
  • Higher probability of getting AOA
  • SO slightly prefers NYC
Cons
  • LCME accreditation issue (going to go away)
  • Worse clinical rotations
  • NYC is super cold, and I'm from a super hot state
  • I am personally not the biggest fan of living in NYC for 4 years
  • Bronx
  • Ophtho program is not very good
  • According to a student, lectures are super disorganized
  • Northeast match heavy list, but I have no intentions of staying there for more than 4 years
  • Hit or miss ophtho match list
  • Slightly worse professional opportunities for SO

IMO, both are similar in terms of community outreach (maybe slight edge to Einstein). Honestly, I was planning on withdrawing my A from Einstein before the news broke, but now I am seriously considering it. UTSW was and still is my top choice, but idk if it is worth an extra $130k)

Members don't see this ad.

I would attend revisits at both schools. If you feel you would be happy with the students at Einstein, I think it's an easy decision. If you've never lived in NYC before, it's something to consider as well (you might find yourself enjoying it). Matching into a competitive specialty (and even more-so competitive locations) is more on you than the school, especially if people have matched there before from your school and established familiarity with the director.

Reactions: 1 user
Wouldn't blame you for taking the free tuition. However, given your "enthusiasm" for living in NYC among other factors, 130K is really nothing in the grand scheme of things if you do end up being an ophthalmologist, as difficult as they may seem to grasp where you are in life right now and feels like a king's ransom

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Full disclaimer that I am on the waitlist for both of these schools lol, but you can’t really go wrong either way and for optho ur gonna have to work hard no matter way you go. I would second visiting just to get a feel for nyc/Bronx and compare it to Dallas. Imo 130k is a lot of money but everyone’s situation is different and ultimately where you think you will be happier and thus more likely to do well is the most important.

As someone accepted to Einstein, I think you should go with UTSW. 130k is a lot of money, but it’s not substantial enough to attend a school you weren’t even considering beforehand (especially for a career in optho). I think you seem really excited about UTSW and your only pro for Einstein seems to be the money. Having a home optho program that takes so many of their own grads is huge. But, either way I don’t think you can go wrong and will get where you want to be with either school

Reactions: 5 users
As someone accepted to Einstein, I think you should go with UTSW. 130k is a lot of money, but it’s not substantial enough to attend a school you weren’t even considering beforehand (especially for a career in optho). I think you seem really excited about UTSW and your only pro for Einstein seems to be the money. Having a home optho program that takes so many of their own grads is huge. But, either way I don’t think you can go wrong and will get where you want to be with either school
I would stress these 2 components. Most home programs will take their own grads because of exposure, it's not a unique situation here. Both programs have had numerous grads (5-8/year) going to ophthalmology, with similar locations (Einstein interestingly seems to have numerous grads go to Texas for ophthalmology. They have also had grads going to Wilmer-Hopkins, Willis Eye, and Sinai. UTSW has also had a graduate go to Wilmer last year). Your outcomes at either are open, and will only depend on you.

It sounds like you placed a high emotional value to UTSW, and are starting to reconsider. That is more than fine - go to both revisits and decide how you feel with time. You have great options either way. When it comes time to make a decision, trust that it was the right one and don't look back.

This is the best take I have seen

Reactions: 2 users