UTSW vs UF neurology programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dave2626

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a good run down of these two... I've interviewed at both and I'm just torn because I liked each program a great deal. Not sure which to rank higher.

What would y'all pick and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone give me a good run down of these two... I've interviewed at both and I'm just torn because I liked each program a great deal. Not sure which to rank higher.

What would y'all pick and why?

I would rank UT Southwestern higher for many reasons but one thing I've sort of learned is that all the programs are almost the same...that is you get about the same training...here is my reasoning (but I did not apply to UF).

1. I had a friend go to an interview there and he liked it but it was too small for him and me (only 3 residents/yr). I've heard they have some really great research but most of it is basic neuro.

2. I like Dallas much better.

3. UT Southwestern is a much better medical school. It is ranked in top 20 UF is not. Not that that matters a ton but all things being equal a top 20 name is better.

4. I enjoyed my interview day at Southwestern. I thought the faculty and residents were very friendly. I only wished they would have taken us over to the north campus (where they have some clinics and a ton of research) as I heard it is really nice.

5. I really like the night float system at UT Southwestern. All the residents I meet seeme very happy with it.

Overall I think both programs are solid (but I did not see UF so take that with a grain of salt) but I get the feeling/impression that UT Southwestern is on the rise so it will be one of my top schools.

I know nothing about UF, but UTSW is a great place to be. I'm currently an intern there. The neurology faculty are genuine and warm. The residents get along well with each other. The biggest problem seems to be keeping Internal Medicine from poaching the interns. This is the sort of decision that really would be hard to help you with. All I can say is no one at UTSW seems to regret their decision to come here.

P.S. As for not showing off the north campus on interview days, I think it's better they don't. It would be disengenuous to show off the nicest area of campus to applicants since as residents they would never, ever work there. It's mostly basic science labs and a few clinics. As the new "East Campus" expands I suspect some of the resident clinics will spread to there and that area will be shown off. That's several years down the road, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not interview at UTSW unlike the others, and am currently at UF Neuro, so would give you my side of the story (you must have heard tonnes of it anyways from so many people while you interviewed here).

One of the complaints we make amongst ourselves is that the program has gotten busier and doesn't give much time to do stuff we would want to, esp during the inpatient service- study, relax, sleep....It definitely is a smaller program compared to UTSW, but it will now be 4 residents per year from 2008, so by the time you come here, it will be bigger than ever. Program is supposed to undergo restructuring, which would help the residents not only see patients, but would also give them ample time outside of training.

Our program chair is stepping down soon which would mean bringing in someone new. We already have more faculty- in stroke/epilepsy. We are going to have a NeuroICU, and it will run fullfledged which will be a nice learning experience.

Faculty has remained accessible and friendly like always which is what I like about the place, even though I have many axes to grind about the program.

We had some terrific applicants interviewing with us so far and it would be a very good class of 2009 for sure.

Good luck with your match.

I know nothing about UF, but UTSW is a great place to be. I'm currently an intern there. The neurology faculty are genuine and warm. The residents get along well with each other. The biggest problem seems to be keeping Internal Medicine from poaching the interns. This is the sort of decision that really would be hard to help you with. All I can say is no one at UTSW seems to regret their decision to come here.

P.S. As for not showing off the north campus on interview days, I think it's better they don't. It would be disengenuous to show off the nicest area of campus to applicants since as residents they would never, ever work there. It's mostly basic science labs and a few clinics. As the new "East Campus" expands I suspect some of the resident clinics will spread to there and that area will be shown off. That's several years down the road, however.

hey! I have heard the rumor that the department chair of Neurology and Psychiatry will leave UTSW followed by many other faculties.:scared: Have you heard any of that?

From what I understand the chair of the Neurology department at UTSW is stepping down to spend more time in the lab, but will remain at UTSW. I was not aware of anyone else leaving the program and I have no idea what is going on with Psychiatry. Hope that helps.

From what I understand the chair of the Neurology department at UTSW is stepping down to spend more time in the lab, but will remain at UTSW. I was not aware of anyone else leaving the program and I have no idea what is going on with Psychiatry. Hope that helps.

Thanks!:)

Wow,

so Dr. Valenstein is leaving the chair position at UF

Dr. Cannon is leaving the chair position at UTSW

wild.