UVA and VCU- your thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gclax30

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any opinions about these two Virginia programs? I was just at UVA for a different reason last week and it seems like a great place to live/work but I don't know jack about the program. Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

i interviewed at UVa already and i'm gonna be at VCU in a week. after rank lists are in i'll be glad to share all my thoughts on any program, but until then i'd like to keep all my stuff to myself. i don't have anything bad to say about either, it's just that i'm not anonymous and i don't want what i say to possibly hurt my chances at UVa, VCU, or any other program. so if you PM me after rank lists are finalized in late feb i'll send you my notes on these two programs, or any other i interviewed at for that matter.

i interviewed at UVa already and i'm gonna be at VCU in a week. after rank lists are in i'll be glad to share all my thoughts on any program, but until then i'd like to keep all my stuff to myself. i don't have anything bad to say about either, it's just that i'm not anonymous and i don't want what i say to possibly hurt my chances at UVa, VCU, or any other program. so if you PM me after rank lists are finalized in late feb i'll send you my notes on these two programs, or any other i interviewed at for that matter.

Sounds great man, I will certainly do that. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
UVA is an excellent program. Very strong AP.

VCU is an acceptable program, maybe bottom of the top tier or top of the middle tier. I admit I don't know as much about it as UVA. But UVA's program>>VCU's program.

VCU may have more that appeals to some people.

UVA is an excellent program. Very strong AP.

VCU is an acceptable program, maybe bottom of the top tier or top of the middle tier. I admit I don't know as much about it as UVA. But UVA's program>>VCU's program.

VCU may have more that appeals to some people.

well, i've completed both interviews, so i'd be glad to share my thoughts on specific issues if anyone wants to PM me. overall i would say that i thought both were solid programs, each having particular strengths. and obviously richmond and charlottesville are two very different places to live.

djmd, what makes you say that UVa is much stronger than VCU? from what i saw on my interviews i didn't note anything that would have made me think that. i've seen such comments before on here, so i'd be curious to see why people are saying that. i'm not trying to defend one program versus the other or anything like that, rather i just thought that both were pretty solid overall and i didn't see anything that would make me say that either is markedly stronger than the other.

djmd, what makes you say that UVa is much stronger than VCU? from what i saw on my interviews i didn't note anything that would have made me think that. i've seen such comments before on here, so i'd be curious to see why people are saying that.

Probably because UVA is more widely regarded and respected for being "more academic". They have many well-acknowledged experts, particular in surg path but also derm and cyto. I don't know how the volume and teaching compare between the programs though.

Probably because UVA is more widely regarded and respected for being "more academic". They have many well-acknowledged experts, particular in surg path but also derm and cyto. I don't know how the volume and teaching compare between the programs though.

Exactly, the academic nature of the program and the reputation it has because of that...

I'm sure that VCU has good AP people and training. But even if you learned everything that someone at UVA would (and again I am not saying that isn't true). Being able to say I went to UVA for residency is more valuable. There is more name recognition...

Any opinions about these two Virginia programs? I was just at UVA for a different reason last week and it seems like a great place to live/work but I don't know jack about the program. Thanks for your input.

I can't comment on VCU (some of my best friends went there for med school, but I don't have any firsthand knowledge of their pathology department). However, if you have any specific questions about UVA, I would be happy to answer them.