UVA (MD) vs. UM Miller SOM (MD/MPH)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UVA or UM Miller?

• UVA (MD)

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • UM Miller SOM (MD/MPH)

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

internetleadtheway

Reaction score
Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read over this. To provide some background, I am a DACA recipient (non-Latino; relevance of which can be discerned through the Pros/Cons list) who is not a traditional student per se (4 years out of undergrad). I am not entirely sure of what specialty I want to pursue, ideally one that allows me sufficient time to do community work with the underprivileged. That being said, trauma/surgery has often crossed my mind for no particular reason. Any input would be greatly appreciated, particularly if anyone is from Miami/knows Miami. I am more or less well versed with the UVA SOM as I have been here in Charlottesville for quite some time. Also if anyone can speak to the importance of being near social support during medical school, it would be very enlightening. As someone who has never been too far from their parents, I think I may be underestimating the benefits that come with being near family for social support. I also hope this post helps anyone in the future that is of similar status and is considering these two schools (as there were none recently).

UVA School of Medicine
Background:
  • Financials: Total CoA $80646/year
    • Total CoA with aid: $210584
  • Academics:
    • 18 month preclinical (non-graded); P/F 70% or above
    • Clinical graded (A/B/C/F)
Pros:
  • Maximum amount of need-based aid ($28,000/year)
  • Close to home
  • Non-graded pre-clinical, I do not believe there is an internal ranking system, but no verifiable source
  • Closely work with established program at the university in providing community work
  • Relatively (relative to Miami) cheaper housing
  • Costco!
In-between
  • Have been in Charlottesville for a while, can’t tell if I’m getting sick of it or loving it
  • Volunteer opportunities with Spanish-speaking patients exist
  • All four seasons
  • Preclinical lectures are optional to attend, mandatory team-based learning
Cons:
  • Small town, not many opportunities with respect to diversity of patients (at least compared to Miami)
  • Graded clinical (A/B/C/F)
  • Larger upfront out of pocket cost ($42646/year)
  • Might be the only DACA recipient? Not sure if this really matters though

UM Miller SOM; MD/MPH program
Background:
  • Financials: Total CoA $109190/year
    • Total CoA with aid: $222820
  • Academics:
    • 14 month preclinical 4 quartiles, no official rank; accounts for 20% of overall evaluation which goes into Dean’s letter
    • Clinicals (Honors/High Pass/Pass)
Pros:
  • Full coverage of tuition ($52,000/year) + loan of $120000
  • Very large urban center, variety of exposure during clinical years including from South America
  • MD/MPH in 4 years
  • Spanish epicenter; as I am fairly fluent in Spanish, I foresee working with Spanish-speaking patients in the future
  • Smaller out of pocket upfront cost ($25705/year; approximate 2/2 cost of living), still will have to repay loan
  • Seems like they have a well-established protocol/support for DACA recipients
  • Costco!
In-between
  • Do it yourself type medical school where it seems largely self-directed
  • Not sure about match list, many students stay in Miami, unsure if self-selected or due to other cause
  • Required in-person lectures 8-12 PM (unsure if this is good or bad) as well as mandatory team based learning
Cons:
  • Far from home
  • Cost of housing is bonkers where most medical students choose to live in: Brickell
  • I have no knowledge of the monthly cost of living in Miami
  • Graded/tiered pre-clinical quartile (25/50/75) starting 2023 matriculation year
  • Graded clinical (Honors/High Pass/Pass)
  • ¡Muy caliente! And apparently also humid, I think I am heat intolerant (WebMD certified diagnosis)
  • Don DeSantis’ rhetoric and actions are scary 2/2 his political ambitions for presidency
  • Traffic???
  • Flooding???

Members don't see this ad.