UVA, Pitt or Jeff????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefully07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

If you guys had to do it all over again would you have chosen UVA, Pitt or Jeff to go to medical school?

- I would have to pay basically the same at all the schools.
- They are basically the same distance from my house.
- I LOVE all the schools, the teachers, the neighborhoods and the students.

I was just wondering if you guys had a different perspective since you or your friends may have opinions about these schools.

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

withdraw from uva plz.

Go with UVA... Nice location, Weather is better than Pitt or Jeff, The school is excellent, you might be lucky enough to enjoy the new medical school building / campus (I think will be finished in 2009), lots of outdoors activities, people / faculty in the med school are great, it is one of the most beautiful campuses that you will ever see, all of your class notes are printed 2 days before the actual class and put into your mailbox, great faculty support, plus UVA is an historical school and the graduation on the Lawn is unbeatable..... Oh, you will also match well into any speciality. I am not biased. :D

Also I think now there is an new cirriculum and the 3rd year students at UVA actually finish 3 rd year 3 months before everyone else in the country. So your 4th year starts in March, and it is completely elective, which means you can do multi away rotations early if you want to do something competitive or you are not sure what you want to go into, or you can do international rotations (I did 2 months in Spain and got credit). This is a huge advantage... I wish I had a similar system when I went through a few years back. That is another thing I liked about UVA is that the admin really listen to the students. When ever we had a suggestion to make something better, the school always made it happen for the people in the class below me. I know the above change was suggested during when I was a 3rd year by people in my class and I can't believe that it has actually happened for the 3rd yr med students this year.

There are many other reasons why I liked UVA, so just search some of my old posts, and if you have any Qs about the school, feel free to PM me. I came down between U of Michigan and U of Virginia for Med school and I have no regrats. A lot of people in my med class picked UVA over schools like Duke, Harvard, Columbia, Penn, etc and they were all happy about their decisions in the end.

Good luck with your decision, with those 3 schools, you can not go wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

If you guys had to do it all over again would you have chosen UVA, Pitt or Jeff to go to medical school?

I was just wondering if you guys had a different perspective since you or your friends may have opinions about these schools.

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!!!

I would go to UVa, hands down. And I went to Virginia Tech for undergrad. Charlottesville is a neat area. Just don't count on UVa football for a good time.;)

Just don't count on UVa football for a good time.;)

:laugh: YES. Go Hokies!

UVA has a great program no doubt. Also from everything I hear they match very well. Although, if you are really interested in research, Pitt might be a slightly better choice for you as they receive more NIH $.

I would go to UVa, hands down. And I went to Virginia Tech for undergrad. Charlottesville is a neat area. Just don't count on UVa football for a good time.;)

hey....at least our fballer's get degrees ;) anyhoo (pun intended). I'm totally biased and I think UVA is gr8! :love: I don't know a thing about pitt other than the temp...which I'm not in favor of. I'm from Phila so Jeff is good too, but I def think UVA is better. Less distractions...you're at the bottom of the blue ridge mountains, so you can focus on your studies...not that people at UVA don't like to party and have fun, just that it is very different from a city school, and you really get to know your classmates because there are less outside/city/area school disruptions.

The campus is beautiful, I presume the honor code extends to the med school so depending on your teacher you can take tests outside of the classroom, just sign the honor code. If you care about ranking, it's ranked way higher than the other schools...we have a FABOLUS football team...did I say the campus is pretty??:D OH! If you are into sports we just built a bball stadium to rival all others professional and collegiate alike. I mean it is amazing (seriously look for yourself). Although there is a part of me that can't imagine spending another 4 years there if I got in, but by the same token the first 4 were some of the best I've ever had, so I know I would be lucky to go there again.

There's an amazing history and the Lawn will fill many of your memories! If th admin is anything like UG, then you will feel welcome and a genuine sense of concern for the students. Some schools make you feel like they are just in business to get your $$$, not here. Clearly I'm biased and not having attended the other two schools my opinion is just a tad jaded ;) G'luck on your decision <go hoos!>

hey....at least our fballer's get degrees ;)

Actually, Virginia Tech football has a significantly-higher graduation rate: 74 versus 63 percent. 2006 NCAA report.

...we have a FABOLUS football team...

In over fifty years of conference play, they have never captured a football championship.

And lastly, although I too would choose UVa, be prepared for this (how do I embed video on here?).

And I'm done. I swear...

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!!!

I went to Pitt for undergrad, and go to Jefferson now. Never went to UVA and never considered it either - it was just too far from friends and family.

Even though I really like Philadelphia, I'd probably rather live in Pittsburgh. But I'd rather go to Jefferson than Pitt. That sounds garbled, I know, but it's the truth.

I don't like PBL, so I'm glad that I don't go to Pitt. Some people like PBL, but I'm definitely not one of them. At Jeff, I think we have 2-3 PBL sessions in first year. That was too many for me. I love, love case studies, and learn really well from them, but I hate the setup of PBL and just felt that it wasted my time.

I really like Jefferson's dedication to community service and community outreach projects. They get students involved in that stuff early, and that fits well with my personal philosophy about how medicine should be practiced. I wanted to go into medicine because I wanted to work with medically underserved communities, especially those ethnic groups that have poor access to healthcare (because of language, money, etc.) That's not what everyone believes in, though. Pitt is very research-based, which isn't what interested me.

Jefferson also listens to its students - the changes in the curriculum that are implemented are driven by student evals. I'd actually be interested to see how UVA does its 3rd year rotations, because I have no idea how they can pack in all their core rotations (Psych, Surg, OB/Gyn, peds, Fam Med, Int Med, ER, and Sub-I's) and then finish up by March. That's just amazing to me, and sounds like they have a pretty creative and flexible administration.

To be honest, I don't know if this is the best way to decide between the 3 schools. You'd really need to figure out what you think you want - do you want a school that is H/P/F or A/B/C/F? (I don't know what grading scales Pitt and UVA use, I'm just using this as an example.) How much time do they give you for Step 1 prep? Do they record lectures or distribute note sets? Do you want a systems-based or a block curriculum? What was right for me may not be right for you.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM. Good luck with your decision!