uva question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zosyn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone interviewed at UVA and have an opinion on this program?? What's the reputation like and are there any negatives to training there? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't visited that program but I go to school in the southeast. So at least in the southeast, it has a pretty good rep. Its about 20-25 residents and is infamous for its kinder and gentler atmosphere. Teaching is supposed to be great. The one thing that is a negative for me so far is location. Charlottesville is very small and even though DC is ~2 hours away, its still 2 hours away.

yes, it's a close-knit environment where faculty and residents know one another very well, but i like that milieu...not a super-large program where it's unfamiliar faculty every month. great teaching and good reputation in training good clinicians. some depts. are better than others (endocrinology is the powerhouse there). negative would be small college-town atmosphere. also, you only rotate through uva hospital but that could be a plus/minus depending on what you're looking for in a program. great experience overall when i interviewed there; happy residents; the only thing bothering me is the large pool of southern applicants but it's more geographically diverse compared to vanderbilt and some other southern programs. again, charlottesville is quaint and that may be a major factor in one's decision.
-s.