UVA, Rochester, Duke, Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kerimwedding

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have interviews still scheduled at these institutions -- I am debating whether to keep them or cancel -- anyone have any insight into these programs?

Members don't see this ad.

i've heard only good things about U.Rochester, from many folks who checked it out-i didnt apply/want to live up there so cant comment more. Duke was nice, solid program, I liked UNC better etc..didnt apply/hear about UVA much. not sure what you should cancel/where youve been/what youre looking for, ive heard more about UM, UR, and Duke than UVA, but im not sure if that reflects anything..i havent posted my huge Duke review yet (xmas time), but if you have specific questions lemme know..was only really worth it for me to go down there and do UNC and Duke at the same time..neither will be my #1, but I'm not the only one, i've talked many folks to who really liked UNC and felt pretty good about Duke...

I've heard great things about UVA--I'm supposed to go interview in a couple of weeks--does anyone know anything about living in Charlottesville? I understand it's a small college town--anything fun to do? Would it be a totally depressing place for a single person?

Members don't see this ad :)
drgirl said:
I've heard great things about UVA--I'm supposed to go interview in a couple of weeks--does anyone know anything about living in Charlottesville? I understand it's a small college town--anything fun to do? Would it be a totally depressing place for a single person?

i went to undergrad there and well there are pros and cons...
pros:
actually rated #1 city in US
more of a city than you would think
GREAT BARS/restaurants
GREAT TRADITIONS
WORK HARD/PLAY HARD--can not emphasize the last part

cons (at least for undergrad):
big classes
people are a lil too confident, definitely bordering on arrogant
no big mall (although all the major names are there)
big frat/srat scene
people didn't date--but that didn't mean there was no hanky-panky going on... :cool:

you definitely come out a definite person than you came in for good or bad...
hope that helps

sgrnspc said:
you definitely come out a definite person that you came in for good or bad...

huh?