uva tuition hike...ouch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dem4t

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to the Richmond Times-Dispatch (April 10th, 2003):

"The University of Virginia has decided to increase tuition for in-state medical students next year by more than 20 percent to $22,486. Out-of-state students will pay $34,536, an increase of 11.6 percent. "

That's a huge increase!!! Seems relatively unfair especially since most Financial Aid Offices estimate about a 3 - 4% annual increase. This has definitely made me rethink my options.

Members don't see this ad.

That really sucks. Hopefully they give away more financial aid because that is an exorbitant increase in tuition. I had better get some serious help because I am an out-of-stater and that extra $4000 per year will equate to atleast $16,000 over 4 years not including subsequent tuition hikes and interest.

I hope I get my financial aid package soon. I need to see what is going to happen.:D

The UCs are doing this too. They haven't come out with the numbers yet, but said in-state would increase by 15-25%. It is because state budgets are being cut and education is one of the first things to get nailed.

Members don't see this ad :)
hehe thats why they only have like 1 out of stater every year...although I did hear its quite easy to gain colorado residency after 1 year, so just gotta bite the bullet with the first year tuition

Everybody becomes a resident at Colorado after the first year, so the total price of attending as an out-of-stater is pretty much identical to attending a private med school.

From what I understand, UT Memphis' tuition has gone up about 100% in the past few years...talk about ouch

With all of these tuition hikes, are state schools still a good deal? I'm deciding between my state school and some private schools, and don't know what to do. I can't foresee 4 years and accurately estimate the cost differences.

Sure, tuition goes up every year at every school, but will state schools continue to raise tuition at a higher rate? Or will the rate of increase be approximately equal?

Has anyone out there received their financial aid package from U.Va. yet?

Man, that tuition hike just ain't right! :mad:
I Hope you get a scholarship aquaboy! :)
Glad I decided to stay home for medschool. :cool: