UVA vs. Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted996731

Hey guys. I could really use some help deciding between these two schools. The main factor between them is cost and whether Cornell is worth the extra 100k.

Cornell
Pros:
- location. I’ve always had a pipe dream of living in nyc and now I finally have the chance (would I even have time to enjoy the city)
- residency matching. Seems like Cornell matches into better programs and I do want to do something competitive. I would love for the chance to match the west coast bc it’s been a dream to settle down out there. Would Cornell’s name help with that?
- 6 month dedicated research time would help with getting pubs for residency apps
- small class which could possibly mean more opportunities than students?

cons:
- I’ve constantly heard that clinical years can get very competitive
- COST. Cornell could cost me more than 100k-150k more in debt
- weekly quizzes which I’m not sure if it’s a good thing or bad

UVA
Pros:
- in state tuition which makes it 100k-150 k cheaper over the four years
- close to family but not really a huge factor to me
- cville would have friendlier people and thus a nicer hospital system??? (Pure speculation)
Cons:
- location. My exgf went to undergrad for uva and so I spent a lot of time in cville. I hate it. It’s slow and boring and there’s only one good taco place.
- there’s this kid from my undergrad thats also going that is the most ultimate pre med gunner and I would hate to attend school with him (petty I know).

am I being dumb planning to spend so much more on Cornell just to be in a place I think I’d enjoy living. Is the small prestige bump even enough to justify it. Thanks for all your input guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen you post on a lot of the same school specific forums as me and just want to say congrats on your acceptances! Based on your pros and cons list/posts it does seem like having the experience of living in NYC and having the extra weight from Cornell would mean a lot for you. I think almost all top schools will have some sort of competitiveness and if you love where you're living it'll be worth it.

If you can get over the costs, I'd choose Cornell since it is your dream to be there and you clearly don't like the location of UVA. Just remember, you're going to be able to pay that off with your doctor's salary anyway, especially if you do something competitive.

...And you could potentially be classmates with me :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the prestige of both of the schools are similar. I wouldn’t worry about that at all. The real question is is it work the extra 100k-150k to get out of the uva area. That is up to you to decide

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
I think you made the right decision picking Cornell.
Happiness matters and location is a big part.
Plus, despite a strong UVA match list, Cornell’s is stronger.

My kid made very similar decision giving up same money and rank school for Cornell.

Best of luck.