UVA vs. UAB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UVA vs. UAB

• UVA

Votes: 26 53.1%
  • UAB

Votes: 23 46.9%

• Total voters

jessetig

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wanted people's thoughts on going to UVA (out-of-state) vs. UAB (out-of-state but can get in-state after first year). thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

UAB is well respected in several departments. I have not heard of any good departments at UVA. Plus, I hear there is jello wrestling in birmingham in the evenings.........good way to pass time (j/k)

if you can get UAB instate tuition, go for it. its supposed to be a very strong school

Members don't see this ad :)
you can get instate with UVa after a year also

ZekeMD said:
Actually, I believe this is only if your spouse is a VA resident. Check out the UVa thread.

Jessetig -
Congratulations on being accepted into two fine institutions! I'm graduating from UAB in a month so I'm a bit biased. You will be well trained at both institutions. IMHO, keep in mind that both schools are in very different environments. Charlottesville is a beautiful rural college town (Albemarle county population: 79,236 in 2000). UVA shares Virginia with other excellent medical schools (Medical College of Virginia in Richmond and Eastern Virginia in Norfolk).
UAB gets referrals from all over Alabama as well as neighboring states. The Birmingham metro area is just a shade under a million residents, but covers a full range of urban, suburban, and rural populations.
Of note, Birmingham has an impressive number and variety of hospitals. UAB has the only stand-alone Children's Hospital in the state of Alabama, a full VA center, an Eye Hospital, and a county hospital. In addition, there are many opportunities to do rotations at several private hospitals in the greater Birmingham area as well as two excellent branch campuses in Huntsville and Tuscaloosa. UAB has a Comprehensive Cancer Center (with a full panoply of basic science, clinical science, and patient programs) while UVA has a Clinical Cancer Center (clinical programs only).
I would say the basic science infrastructure is far better funded at UAB than at UVA - there are more opportunities to do both basic and clinical research at UAB.
Balancing this all out is how you feel about living in Alabama. I'm an Alabama native and I love my state. However, I know that Alabama is far more conservative than just about any other locale in the US and is definitely not for everyone's taste.
If you have any more questions about UAB, feel free to PM me. I think you have two great options and I hope I can sway you to come to UAB. I am proud of the education I have received.

thanks for the thoughts, folks

ZekeMD said:
Not easily. You have to have a full time job or a spouse working a full time job for one year, then you have to apply and not everyone is awarded resident tuition. That is what I have been able to find out anyway. I'll be there as an out-of-state student in August, so I've done a lot of research.

chirurgeon said:
Jessetig -
Congratulations on being accepted into two fine institutions! I'm graduating from UAB in a month so I'm a bit biased. You will be well trained at both institutions. IMHO, keep in mind that both schools are in very different environments. Charlottesville is a beautiful rural college town (Albemarle county population: 79,236 in 2000). UVA shares Virginia with other excellent medical schools (Medical College of Virginia in Richmond and Eastern Virginia in Norfolk).
UAB gets referrals from all over Alabama as well as neighboring states. The Birmingham metro area is just a shade under a million residents, but covers a full range of urban, suburban, and rural populations.
Of note, Birmingham has an impressive number and variety of hospitals. UAB has the only stand-alone Children's Hospital in the state of Alabama, a full VA center, an Eye Hospital, and a county hospital. In addition, there are many opportunities to do rotations at several private hospitals in the greater Birmingham area as well as two excellent branch campuses in Huntsville and Tuscaloosa. UAB has a Comprehensive Cancer Center (with a full panoply of basic science, clinical science, and patient programs) while UVA has a Clinical Cancer Center (clinical programs only).
I would say the basic science infrastructure is far better funded at UAB than at UVA - there are more opportunities to do both basic and clinical research at UAB.
Balancing this all out is how you feel about living in Alabama. I'm an Alabama native and I love my state. However, I know that Alabama is far more conservative than just about any other locale in the US and is definitely not for everyone's taste.
If you have any more questions about UAB, feel free to PM me. I think you have two great options and I hope I can sway you to come to UAB. I am proud of the education I have received.

Hey hyung! :lD

I'd extend the same offer to answer questions to UAB as well, although I have very little to add. If you have any questions related to the basic sciences curriculum, feel free to ask me - PC has been out for a few years :D

Yours,

JP

A few words quick words about UVA... The main hospital is a Level 1 Trauma Center and, like UAB, serves a multi-state area: patients from VA, WV, KY, and NC are treated there. UVA has many affiliations with regional hospitals and offers 3rd year students rotations in rural areas throughout Virginia and in Fairfax, VA (very high-volume metropolitan area near Washington, DC). The medical center also has several very highly-ranked departments, including Endocrinology, Urology, Neurology, ENT, and a few others I'm forgetting. I'm not the best person to address the finer points of the hospital, but this is what I remember from my interview tour and living there for a few years.

I hear great things about both schools. I'm probably going to UVA in the fall (I'm in-state) and am absolutely in love with Charlottesville, but I think you can't go wrong with either choice.

JPaikman said:
Hey hyung! :lD

I'd extend the same offer to answer questions to UAB as well, although I have very little to add. If you have any questions related to the basic sciences curriculum, feel free to ask me - PC has been out for a few years :D

Yours,

JP

Korean? Hello! :)

I vote for UAB because most of the class are laid back students from alabama. The 15% or so of gunnerish out of state students can be easily avoided.