UVA vs. USF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UVA or USF?

• UVA

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • USF

Votes: 15 39.5%

• Total voters

yaoigirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a hard time in deciding between these two schools and I would appreciate some feedback from others. Some background about me is I’m a Florida resident so all my family is in Florida and it would be nice to be closer to them. I am not exactly sure what specialty I’m interested in but I am considering some competitive ones. I have family in the optical field that would like for me to do ophthalmology but I’m not 100% sure I want to go that route. I would also like to do my residency in Florida and practice medicine in Florida preferably. If anyone has any additional information that could help with this decision I would greatly appreciate it.

University of Viriginia (40k per year)

Pros:

1. 1.5 preclinical year

2. Better research opportunities

3. Better reputation

4. Staff and students seem really nice and happy

5. Main hospital is located near the school

6. Received significant scholarship that reduced cost comparable to state school cost

Cons:

1. Cold weather (I really hate cold weather)

2. Required away rotations in rural area ( I have cats that I do not feel comfortable leaving for weeks on end by themselves or with possible friends that I might make while in school)

3. Heard during away rotations the living situation isn’t pleasant. ( if current students could comment on if this is true or not I would appreciate it)

4. Smaller city (not really a big deal but also not great)

5. First years do not get parking permits ( not a fan of walking or catching public bus to school)

6. Did not get that feeling of perfect fit here

7. Farther from family

University of South Florida (35k per year)

Pros:

1. Warm weather

2. Familiar with city (went to undergrad here)

3. 1st year classes with other health profession students (nursing , physical therapist, etc.)

4. Cheaper by 5k per year

5. Offer a research concentration

6. Current friends attend school and would be upper classmates that could help with transition

7. No required away rotations in rural area

8. Closer to family

Con:

1. Less of a reputation

2. Main hospital located downtown instead of near school

3. Also did not get that feeling of perfect fit

4. Office staff seemed rude

5. Regular 2 year preclinical years

Members don't see this ad.

I would give USF an edge because you want to practice in Florida. Medical school is a stepping stone to residency. When you are applying to Florida residencies, you'll know more people that can vouch for you, if you attend USF. When I interviewed there, I think they said ~40% of their graduates stay in Florida. Virginia is a great school and wouldn't hurt you, but you would have fewer opportunities to create a network back in your home state. I don't think school reputation is that important, unless you are gunning for a big-name residency that attracts the best of the best. Florida doesn't really have those.

You'd also have a good support system close by that would make life easier.

I can only speak from my experience, but the staff at USF was nice during my interview day. They are the admissions team anyway, so you won't be around them at all. But I get why that might be your impression of the faculty/staff as a whole.

Good luck with your decision!

I might be able to help on this one, having grown up in Miami and Tampa, currently attending UVA, and having a friend and mentor on faculty of both schools.

You have a win-win choice with the schools themselves, but the weather factor alone makes me picture you happier at USF. Being warm almost every day since birth, and then switching to being cold at least half the time is an adjustment that can't be underestimated. Another factor that catches people off guard is UVA's unique culture. Some feel right at home, others feel like it's not their cup of tea. If it didn't click for you when you were here, it may or may not grow on you. (Tina Fey described it well when she said that going to UVA felt like studying abroad.)

Again, though, you win either way! Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
Reputation really only matters for top 5-10 schools. Outside of that, there is a huge drop off in what your school can actually buy you. Plus, I'd say the support system you'd have by staying close to family is really important. And you can't beat Florida weather. In your situation I'd stay in-state and attend USF.

^ That's definitely not true. Just take a look at the medical schools in the 10-40 range and you'll see names that carry serious weight. Tell any doctor that you're going to UVA and they'll tell you how great a school it is.

I just wonder why you applied to UVA in the first place if you would rather stay at your local school. To me, it seems like the better career move, but I think USF is the better life move. If you'd honestly be happier, then you should go there. Just ask yourself why you applied to UVA

Reactions: 1 user
^ That's definitely not true. Just take a look at the medical schools in the 10-40 range and you'll see names that carry serious weight. Tell any doctor that you're going to UVA and they'll tell you how great a school it is.

I just wonder why you applied to UVA in the first place if you would rather stay at your local school. To me, it seems like the better career move, but I think USF is the better life move. If you'd honestly be happier, then you should go there. Just ask yourself why you applied to UVA
Not to derail the thread, but just compare match lists of a top 5-10 school compared to a school ranked in the 20s and you'll see a huge difference. Schools in the top 30 (like UVA) often have average stats of 36/3.9--identical to Stanford or Duke. Therefore it would not be a leap to say that students at top 30 schools probably do about as well on the step 1 as students at top 10s. Yet students at top 5s match way better--why? And it's not just about state vs private school. Take UCSF or UMich (both ~top 10) for example.

I applied to UVA because a physician I was shadowing graduated and did his residency there and he recommended I apply. After reading about the school I loved the curriculum excluding the required away rotations and loved the many opportunities offered but I just wasn't blown away on interview day. I also was doing a kind of shot gun approach to applying because I knew I couldn't just apply to Florida schools only. I feel that UVA would be the logical career move because of the advantages the name holds and more opportunities but it's hard to just turn down a school that is both familiar and in the state that I prefer to live in. Also there is a large chance that I could wind up doing my residency at UVA as well since it seems most schools like to hold on to their own students. As I stated above I would prefer to come back to Florida for residence/practice. This is gonna be a touch decision to make before the deadline.

I'll be attending UVa in the Fall, and I was concerned too about away rotations. However, I spoke with some students and they said the longest they were ever away from their apartment at a time was a week. Also, there are quite a few nice apartments around the school, so that is only an issue if you make it one. My apartment is less than a 5 minute walk away. I absolutely loved UVa and am ecstatic to attend, so I may be a bit biased. Also, being completely pass/fail is not something to take lightly. I'm not sure if USF is, but the atmosphere at schools with graded preclinical curricula seem much less laid back compared to P/F schools.