UVA vs VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missgainz

Reaction score
Hello all,

I truly cannot believe I got into medical school and could never have dreamed I'd get into two?! I still am in shock and am so so grateful but this has been the hardest decision of my life and was hoping someone reads this and provides some wisdom to make this decision more clear

UVA:
Pros:
  • shortened preclerkship (to me this is huuuuge, longer time exploring specialties is really great)
  • exams can be taken any time friday-sunday which also sounds so nice
  • could get a double degree and decide to do that my third year
  • the research opportunities I've heard a plentiful and great (though I'm sure VCU will have research opportunities too?)
  • I like the social issues in medicine course and like that they put you in a volunteer group that aligns with your interests
  • my brother goes here, it would be nice to be near him
  • ranked higher (unfortunate to consider, but still important I think?) and I've heard for residency matches this has been really important, since the school is more well known nationally
Cons:
  • I went here for undergrad and thought I would never come back to cville lmaooo. Honestly at UVA for undergrad things were competitive and I didn't like how classist everyone seemed, idk maybe it was just the people around me
  • higher cost of living, will probably have to consider living with a roommate which i really didn't want to do
  • ABCDF clerkship? Idk if that's a con?

VCU:
Pros:
  • I love richmond so much. I have been wanting to live there for years and dreamt about it while I was living in cville for undergrad, I love visiting there and always am so happy there
  • clerkships are honor / pass / fail type? Idk if that's a difference from ABCDF?
  • cheaper cost of living, I think I could live in a one bedroom in walking distance to campus
Cons:
  • literally only when compared to UVA it's just not as well known nationally and is ranked lower and i hate that that's its con

I guess what it comes down to is UVA seems like a better school with better programs, but I love richmond. My sister thinks it's silly to choose a school because of its location and I should choose a school that gives the best long term benefits rather than short term? Also I didn't have a car when I went to UVA for undergrad, so I could explore more of Cville now that I do. I've also heard from students that the culture is completely different in medical school at UVA compared to undergrad so maybe it'll be a completely different experience than my undergrad was? I just really want and need diversity I think and I know Richmond will have that just because it's a city.

Wow if you made it this far thank you a million times, and any opinions at all would be so appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

VCU is a good school with home residency programs in every specialty, so it’s not a bad choice and won’t close any doors. However, if you care to match into derm or a surgical sub, you will have a significant advantage coming from a T25 med school like UVA.

Since most schools are H/HP/P/LP/F, the A/B/C/D/F scoring is not really a concern/con, especially since it is debatably better than H/P/F since you can distinguish between a HP/P or a B/C. Not really a big deal though. Grades are dumb and no one cares.

Reputation-wise, I don’t see UVA has a leg up in this regard. T25 is a weird concept. You should pick where you want to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unrelated but hope to see you in Richmond if you end up going to VCU!

VCU is a good school with home residency programs in every specialty, so it’s not a bad choice and won’t close any doors. However, if you care to match into derm or a surgical sub, you will have a significant advantage coming from a T25 med school like UVA.

Since most schools are H/HP/P/LP/F, the A/B/C/D/F scoring is not really a concern/con, especially since it is debatably better than H/P/F since you can distinguish between a HP/P or a B/C. Not really a big deal though. Grades are dumb and no one cares.
thank you that was really helpful, especially about the scoring!! I unfortunately am considering a surgical subspeciality which makes the choice even harder :(

Reputation-wise, I don’t see UVA has a leg up in this regard. T25 is a weird concept. You should pick where you want to be.
thank you :) I appreciate hearing this reputation is so so weird and a difficult thing to have to consider

Unrelated but hope to see you in Richmond if you end up going to VCU!
I've seen you on the sub-threat for VCU and honestly really think we would be friends :) are you going to the first look this saturday??

If you are close with your brother, it would be fun and easier to learn about the individual classes and rotations if you went to UVA. If I misread that and he's not actually a student at the medical school, then at least you could possibly live with him and lower your rent. Applicants have reported that the students are very happy at UVA and find it to be a more laid back environment.

I've seen you on the sub-threat for VCU and honestly really think we would be friends :) are you going to the first look this saturday??
Haha I think so too! Unfortunately not but hope you enjoy it!!

Uva no question. It’s only 4 years. I was born and raised in Virginia and especially because you want something surgical this really isn’t even a question. You won’t have time for much outside of med school anyways plus this is your alma mater so you’ll be comfortable already having experience there. Don’t question this any longer and choose the school with ample more opportunity

If you are close with your brother, it would be fun and easier to learn about the individual classes and rotations if you went to UVA. If I misread that and he's not actually a student at the medical school, then at least you could possibly live with him and lower your rent. Applicants have reported that the students are very happy at UVA and find it to be a more laid back environment.
Hi! He's an undergrad but yes I do tend to see that UVA students at the med school seem really happy to be there! Thanks for your input : )

Was my input helpful
Oh my gosh hi I must’ve missed ur reply I’m sorry!! Yes it totally was, honestly how you described it is how I’ve been feeling and after my accepted students day tour at VCU I kept comparing it to certain programs at UVA and it made me realize that not just the area but the school I’m going to is a lot more important to me (this may have been very obvious but Richmond weighed very heavily in my head lol) I really appreciate your input :)