UVA vs VTech Premed

omegarenge

Reaction score
Hi, a High School Senior here:

Currently, I'm planning on doing CS with premed and so after weighing my options I've narrowed it down to these two schools.

With matriculation deadlines coming up, I've been torn between UVA and VTech for Engineering (CS). Currently, I'm mainly split between the schools because what attracts me to VTech is that I qualified as a Stamps Scholar and the fact that Virginia Tech has a higher ranked engineering program. I plan on doing a CS along with premed and so ultimately my aim is Med School, and that's where UVA comes in has it has a more established program.

Right now, I'm 50/50 on both schools with a slight edge to VT due to the Stamps Scholar program however my parents are leaning towards UVA, so I would really like to hear more about how Tech's engineering program compares to UVA's along with the possibilities of doing both CS and premed at Tech and whether this would be doable. UVA and VT end up being the same price for me due to need-based scholarship at UVA compared to the merit full ride I get VT minus the stipend.

Anything you can share will be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

You have prolly made a decision! but in regards to premed vtech is much easier !! I have seen people easily getting in to med school from vtech because of their easier grading! UVA on the other hand has grade deflation ! In fact, I think the average gpa is around a 3.2 to 3.3 ! anyways I do feel like charlottesville has a lot more to do than Bburg ! hope you made the right decision!

Hey @omegarenge,
Have you taken a tour of either campus? You might want to arrange a formal or informal tour to see which school fits you best. Many times schools have ambassadors who conduct free tours for prospective students--just contact someone in the admissions office.
Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey @omegarenge,
Have you taken a tour of either campus? You might want to arrange a formal or informal tour to see which school fits you best. Many times schools have ambassadors who conduct free tours for prospective students--just contact someone in the admissions office.
Best of luck

so what's the difference between you and @jhkmd

oh never mind you ARE jhkmd

Hazle said:
so what's the difference between you and @jhkmd

oh never mind you ARE jhkmd
Correct; I changed my username :)

Reactions: 1 user
M3 here, honesty go where you feel you fit best. Soooo many premeds change major (not saying that’s you), but trust me you will have plenty of time to figure it all out. Sometimes it comes down to a gut feeling, and also just a warning that I know you don’t want to here; engineering kills your GPA, MOST (not all) of the time. Go where YOU want to go, if you are worried about which school as “higher rep” it doesn’t work that way. Both are an amazing experience and I recommend either one. This probably didn’t help at all lol but at this point go with your instinct homie

Reactions: 1 user
^^Agree w/the above--engineering is not the way to go if you're gung-ho about medicine. Most people who can succeed in engineering classes can handle the curriculum in med school/law school/etc., but you want to allocate your time to studying for the classes you need for med school IF this is what you truly want. You need to sit down and make a decision between engineering or medicine and commit to one of them. Trying to juggle engineering classes w/all of the extracurricular activities that you need as a pre-med WILL kill your GPA, as was said above.

Good luck with whatever you choose :)

hi! i'm a senior in hs. i was wondering what college you ended up choosing. do you regret it?