UW 2x or UW +Kaplan????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soniaahhh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone plz give me some advice on this??
I want to know if its more worth my time to do UW questions 2 x rather then UW once and Kaplan questions once???

what do u guys think? I did only kaplan for step 1 and did 'good' but I want to do at least 10 pts better this time.

your input is GREATLY appreciated,
thanks,
Sonia:)

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering the same thing 2 weeks ago...I decided to give the Kaplan questions a try but felt like I was regressing a bit.

The questions are so much easier than UW, its almost like you're losing the advantage of being prepared for anything that comes your way...so now I'm back doing UW a second time around...

I am wondering the same thing! Some of the kaplan questions are providing me with some new information. For step 1, I used mainly USMLE world and my test was just like kaplan qbank. I dont want to make the same mistake. For anyone out there who has taken Step 2, is the real thing more like kaplan or USMLE world?

i dont know, i just dont feel comfortable going back to kaplan bc the questions are alot easier, i hope i'm not making afatal mistake:(

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont know, i just dont feel comfortable going back to kaplan bc the questions are alot easier, i hope i'm not making afatal mistake:(

That's interesting. I actually do much better on UWorld than on Kaplan (though I think they recently added a bunch of new questions so it might be harder now than it was when you took it?). Anyway, I'm averaging in the upper 60s on UWorld and the low 60s on QBank right now, and I definitely feel like they test different things. QBank seems to have a lot more questions where you jump through two steps, think you have the answer, and then there's one more thing you miss. i.e., you make the diagnosis, jump to the correct medication, but then don't catch that you actually have to use the second line medication because the first one is contraindicated. Definitely more challenging for me.

I think it might have to do with whether you use the kaplan CK books as your primary study materials...

The questions from Kaplan are straight up from their textbooks...I'm using the kaplan textbooks and am having too easy of a time with their questions (high seventies vs. mid 60's on UW), so I feel like I personally got a lot more out of doing UW.

I also like the explanations in UW much more...they're more succinct and high-yield, IMO. Good luck all!

Turk.

I think it might have to do with whether you use the kaplan CK books as your primary study materials...

The questions from Kaplan are straight up from their textbooks...I'm using the kaplan textbooks and am having too easy of a time with their questions (high seventies vs. mid 60's on UW), so I feel like I personally got a lot more out of doing UW.

I also like the explanations in UW much more...they're more succinct and high-yield, IMO. Good luck all!

Turk.

I actually think kaplan questions, in their big majority, come out of FA. Of course, there are always a handful of questions which you can't answer with FA.

In terms of usmleworld and kaplan, I do remember that for step 1 they definitely tested different things. I assume that for CK it is the same (although I haven't done usmleworld).

Good luck to you guys in your preparations for Step 2. I will be taking it in a week and have been using USMLEWORLD. I have gotten through about 75% of the questions. Just wanted to let you all know that it took a lot longer than I thought to get through this many questions so make sure you budget enough time to get through two Q banks if that is your plan.

I can only tell you based on my experience...but I did only Kaplan QBank for Step 1 and did VERY well. I then did USMLE World only for Step 2 and did even better (11 points better). I looked at Kaplan for Step 2 and felt those questions were NOT what was tested on Step 2 (although it was WONDERFUL for Step 1). My opinion is to get through USMLE World and take notes on EVERYTHING (even if you got it right) and then study the notes. You should do VERY well, but that's just my opinion.

Good luck all

I can only tell you based on my experience...but I did only Kaplan QBank for Step 1 and did VERY well. I then did USMLE World only for Step 2 and did even better (11 points better). I looked at Kaplan for Step 2 and felt those questions were NOT what was tested on Step 2 (although it was WONDERFUL for Step 1). My opinion is to get through USMLE World and take notes on EVERYTHING (even if you got it right) and then study the notes. You should do VERY well, but that's just my opinion.

Good luck all

Are you considering the NEW Step 2 Qbank???

I was considering getting a month subscription for kaplan ck qbank, but i have some old tests i got from peoople, and i have the printed out question book , so i guess if i use kaplan, that should be enough...:(