1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

UW anyone?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by epoh, Nov 14, 2005.

1. epoh

epoh Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Is UW your top choice? If you interviewed already, how was it?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mcshow2

mcshow2 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    no interview love for me... I heard they might take like 3-5 out of staters... this true?

4. Fat_Man

Fat_Man Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I would love to get an interview there, but I don't think it's gonna happen if they're only taking 5 out of staters . . .

5. Tche

Tche Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    UW is definetly the best school that I've been to. They only charge $100 to hold an acceptance, because they know that everyone accepted is going to take the offer. The only thing is that they are in no hurry to send out acceptances. They have rolling admissions and don't fill their class until March.

6. spamtoit

spamtoit Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

It's been my favorite so far. It was probably the shortest interview day I've had...no formal power point presentation like the others. Very informal and the students I came into contact with seemed pretty happy and relaxed (at least as much as a dental student can be).

7. EyeAmCommi

EyeAmCommi Los Angeles Smog
    7+ Year Member

Harvard charges $0 to hold a spot. Does this mean that everyone who gets accepted by Harvard takes it? No.

8. F*R*I*E*N*D*S

F*R*I*E*N*D*S Member
    5+ Year Member

UW is definitely my number 1 choice. the interview was from 9:00-2:30 (depending on if you want to stay for the optional financial aid presentation). i don't know if they hold any spots for out of staters because they don't do the WICHE preference anymore. one of the interviewers told me that it's really good that i'm a wa. state resident.

9. mcshow2

mcshow2 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    My question would be this (...and yes I am extremely bitter not gettin an interview yet)...

How good/competitive can a school be if they are only willing to take in state applicants...?

UC Schools are state schools but they are looking for the highest quality applicant they can find.

10. mcshow2

mcshow2 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If harvard chages 0 dollars to hold a spot... one would be an idiot not to accept it. They wouldn't have to attend, but why not hold the spot (at one of the best dental schools) while you are deciding, costing you 0 dollars.

11. EyeAmCommi

EyeAmCommi Los Angeles Smog
    7+ Year Member

I think that this is partly the reason why the UCs aren't ranked higher in US News, it's because they are a state school.

12. angeeeeee

angeeeeee Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student

As I'm sure you all know, there is no "best dental school" or any type of standardized ranking for dental schools. I think each person has their idea on what the best dental school is based on class sizes, location, cost, clinical emphasis, research opportunities, etc. It isn't about what schools other people think are better, go to the school that fits you. Obviously UW is "competitive" based on the number of applicants/interviewed/accepted. Whether or not it is "good" is entirely up to what you are looking for in a school. So far (almost a full quarter into the program) it has exceeded my expectations and I am loving it, so I think UW is the "best dental school" for ME. Just because the UW accepts so many in-staters doesn't mean they aren't high quality or that the program isn't good...just check out how well the school performs on NBDE I and II. Just my 2 cents and school pride :D

13. mcshow2

mcshow2 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm sure you are totally right... Please understand my stressed-out-of-my-mind, snippy attitude, and accept my apologies. I know my app. is more than competitive and i am really getting frustrated with my lack of interviews.

Also, on a lighter note... how can you have ANY school pride the way your school represents itself every saturday on the football field...? ;)

14. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Member
    7+ Year Member

It's becuase UW is going to win the NCAA championship in basketball this year!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

15. mcshow2

mcshow2 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student

Please... They were filth last year... and they lost people. :cool:

16. angeeeeee

angeeeeee Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I totally understand your stress...been there, done that!

On the school pride thing...yea football sucks (but I'm a girl so who cares anyways) I'm more in to our #2 ranked girls vball team HOW AWESOME IS THAT?! he he

17. Tche

Tche Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I was told by UW dental students that last year no alternates were accepted at UW. Therefore, everyone accepted who was offered a seat.

In my opinion UW is the best bang for the buck.