UW - doesn't explain the (incorrect) answer choice you made?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who has a knack for picking the only answer choice that isn't explained at all? Seems to happen a lot - like half of all of my wrong questions. I'm not sure if I'm picking an obvious distractor that isn't worth explaining, or if somehow the explanation for the correct answer is supposed to clue me in to what was wrong with my choice. And I'm not sure if that is a good or bad sign. :scared:

Anyone else noticed this? Does UW monitor which choice you made and purposefully leave out the explanation for it? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Am I the only one who has a knack for picking the only answer choice that isn't explained at all? Seems to happen a lot - like half of all of my wrong questions. I'm not sure if I'm picking an obvious distractor that isn't worth explaining, or if somehow the explanation for the correct answer is supposed to clue me in to what was wrong with my choice. And I'm not sure if that is a good or bad sign. :scared:

Anyone else noticed this? Does UW monitor which choice you made and purposefully leave out the explanation for it? :laugh:

I've done this too. Another thing thats frustrating is when they give a long paragraph about the topic of interest, but don't really say why the answer was correct... or something like "this was clearly .... disease, and therefore.... is right."

Sometimes the reason my answer is wrong isn't mentioned in the initial paragraph, but if I read on to the explanations of why the other answers are wrong, I get more info and can figure out why my answer was wrong. I can't come up with an exact example, but there was a question like that the other day. After the explanation, I was thinking "so what! I knew all of that, and I still think C is correct." Then I read a little further down the page (not in front of C) and they told me the reason C was wrong.

I have a theory that if they leave out the answer choice that you chose, then it is partially correct.

They are like "Oh, you chose that one, well.... can't really come up with a good reason why that answer is wrong.... so.... on to the next one!"

It could be that I am a bit psychotic as I just finished the entire Uworld today (test is tomorrow), and Haloperidol here I come!!!!

Another thing thats frustrating is when they give a long paragraph about the topic of interest, but don't really say why the answer was correct... or something like "this was clearly .... disease, and therefore.... is right."
Yeah... I missed one on the AC ligament in AC shoulder separation (you'd think that would be a no brainer :laugh:). I knew that the coracoclavicular ligament also strengthened the joint, and for some reason I thought that might actually be the more important ligament in a separation. The correct answer was AC ligament, and their explanation only "explained" that both AC and CC ligaments support the joint and can be disrupted in a separation. So I have no idea why the AC is more important, just that it is, I suppose. But then on the screen of the test review, the objective or whatever for that question is listed as "coracoclavicular ligament" which really makes me scratch my head. The objective is the wrong answer, which wasn't explained as to why it was wrong at all? :confused:

I have a theory that if they leave out the answer choice that you chose, then it is partially correct.

They are like "Oh, you chose that one, well.... can't really come up with a good reason why that answer is wrong.... so.... on to the next one!"
I like that theory! At least I would be picking reasonable distractors... hopefully that means less "wild" guessing, and more good guesses and correct answers on the real thing with an easier question set. Or it could be that I fail due to picking the "next best" answer on every question!

It could be that I am a bit psychotic as I just finished the entire Uworld today (test is tomorrow), and Haloperidol here I come!!!!
I hope that means that you started in the past and finished today, and not that you went through the entire question bank today... or else you'll need more than haloperidol. :laugh: