UW Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

septoplasty

Exceptional
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question ID: 1175

Calculation of Event Rate (treatment)

ARR = Event Rate (control) - Event Rate (tx)

4 % = 6% - Event Rate (tx)

Find Event Rate (tx)

I swear, in elementary math we were taught that if you bring over the 4 from the left to the right, it would become negative thus making it :

Event Rate (tx) = 6 - (-4)
Event Rate (tx) = 10

In UWorld it states the answer is 2, meaning they never changed the +4 to -4...

Who is wrong? UWorld or me? :confused::confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Find Event Rate (tx)

I swear, in elementary math we were taught that if you bring over the 4 from the left to the right, it would become negative thus making it :

Event Rate (tx) = 10

4 = 6 - x

x + 4 = 6

x = 2.

6th grade algebra is difficult as f, mang.

Members don't see this ad :)

Find Event Rate (tx)

Event Rate (tx) = 10

I hope this is a joke question, but in case you somehow made it though college without Alg 1 skillz the problem is when you moved the Event Rate over to the other side that minus sign should have gone away. If you wanted to start by moving the 4% then the steps should have looked like:

4 % = 6% - Event Rate (tx) (move the 4% over by subtracting 4% from both sides) -->
0 = 6% - Event Rate (tx) - 4% (move the Event Rate over by ADDING Event Rate to both sides) -->
Event Rate (tx) = 6% - 4% = 2%

I hope this is a joke question, but in case you somehow made it though college without Alg 1 skillz the problem is when you moved the Event Rate over to the other side that minus sign should have gone away. If you wanted to start by moving the 4% then the steps should have looked like:

4 % = 6% - Event Rate (tx) (move the 4% over by subtracting 4% from both sides) -->
0 = 6% - Event Rate (tx) - 4% (move the Event Rate over by ADDING Event Rate to both sides) -->
Event Rate (tx) = 6% - 4% = 2%

Yes, I was having a mental block.. realized it after ma nig solved it :smuggrin::sleep:

I learned in school that, for example, if you have 6 slices of pizza, but your teacher says you're only allowed to have 4 because otherwise you'll be too full for afternoon snack time, you can give 2 away to one of your friends. Or you could give 1 away each to two different friends.