UW vs Kaplan Score Discrepancy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

troopersmama

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all

ive been browsing through the threads and havent been able to find one where someone consistently scored much higher on the kaplan qbank than usmle world. (it seems like there are several saying world was easier than qbank!)

i have only been doing pathology questions, (studying for pathology shelf), but now I have finished all the pathology questions in kaplan and half on UsmleWorld and i score consistently around 80% in kaplan and only 55% in Uworld.

Any ideas?!

.: PerPlexEd :. :eek: (and a little scared!!)

any ideas appreciated :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience with the two...

Kaplan = ability to remember minute details

World = ability to apply more broad concepts along with a few of the more notable minute details

thanks for the input!

do you think combination of both would help round out the difference for the actual exam in the long run? (ie. integrate details and systems?)
also where would you recommend the Usmle Rx fits into the scheme? (is it more detailed like kaplan or more broad?)

thanks for the input!

do you think combination of both would help round out the difference for the actual exam in the long run? (ie. integrate details and systems?)
also where would you recommend the Usmle Rx fits into the scheme? (is it more detailed like kaplan or more broad?)
No, I think UW is a much better route. Kaplan's downfall is that it focuses on useless details.

I am not sure about USMLE Rx, I haven't used it.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I think UW is a much better route. Kaplan's downfall is that it focuses on useless details.

I am not sure about USMLE Rx, I haven't used it.

I have used both USMLERx, and starting today, USMLEWorld. I have only done about 150-200 questions in USMLERx, and it is a good way to master what is in First Aid. It is similar to the NBME 1 practice exam in scope and difficulty, I think.

USMLEWorld is on another level. I have only done one block of 50 questions, and am super impressed. Their questions are definitely much harder than others (including the real thing, supposedly). Their explanations are top notch, and I feel like I am really learning! Many thanks to the people on here who recommended it. :)

Needless to say, I am ditching USMLERx to focus on USMLEWorld.

I am almost done with Kaplan (350 remaining) and have a cumulative avg 79...I am ditching it for UW.

after 200 UW questions, I am sitting on 72% cumulative. So my performance dropped significantly. So far, my take is that I've been getting a healthy dose of "outside the box" type of question (the ones that 17-22% of qbankers got right = chance probability of picking any answer). I do feel that I am "almost" grasping the answer but end up picking the wrong one after I narrow it down to 2. That could very well be a conceptual gap, but on the real test, people always say that there are 10-15 of "those" questions that they could narrow down to two but weren't sure. I bet Uworld tough questions are representative in that sense.

I guess if one wants a 260+ you better be getting these 75% of these tough ones right. but man...UWorld questions are less rapid recall and more thinking through for sure. Kaplan - not so much (heck, you can find answers in review books for kaplan questions, some of the UWORLD questions are not even in review book! you just gotta think outside the box)

USMLEWorld is simply awesome. I am so glad I switched to it earlier this week! :)