UW vs Qbank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unc12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which source is better for Step 2? I can only afford one and I'm having trouble deciding which on to use.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

UW. While doing UW before the test I was less than satisfied, there are many grammatical errors and it is obvious that it is written by somone who speaks english as a second language, which makes it annoying to read at times....

BUT, after taking the test I was I felt that UW was a good investment, there are apparently many remembered questions in UW, as I had some questions that were verbatim down to the order of the answer choices.

tigershark said:
UW. While doing UW before the test I was less than satisfied, there are many grammatical errors and it is obvious that it is written by somone who speaks english as a second language, which makes it annoying to read at times....

BUT, after taking the test I was I felt that UW was a good investment, there are apparently many remembered questions in UW, as I had some questions that were verbatim down to the order of the answer choices.

the nbme must have caught on to this, seeing as the step 2 I took yesterday was NOTHING like UW. :mad:

chicamedica said:
the nbme must have caught on to this, seeing as the step 2 I took yesterday was NOTHING like UW. :mad:

I assume usmelworld is usmleworld.com
Sorry it's such a dumb question. It seems like most people at my school don't study that intensely for step 2.
Isn't it the rule of 2s, study 2 weeks for step 1, 2 days for step 2, and bring a no. 2 pencil for step 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
cyanocobalamin said:
Sorry it's such a dumb question. It seems like most people at my school don't study that intensely for step 2.
Isn't it the rule of 2s, study 2 weeks for step 1, 2 days for step 2, and bring a no. 2 pencil for step 3.

You must be one smart cookie to do well with 2 weeks of studying for Step 1.

cyanocobalamin said:

I thought it was 2 months for step 1, 2 weeks for step 2, and 2 days for step 3. But maybe that's cause i'm slow. . . :(

DOCTORSAIB said:
You must be one smart cookie to do well with 2 weeks of studying for Step 1.

We only get a few weeks to study for step 1 because of our curriculum schedule. I think our school average is ~225 (for step 1)

So I am assuming that it is usmleworld.com??! Yes, no, anyone out there?

chicamedica said:
I thought it was 2 months for step 1, 2 weeks for step 2, and 2 days for step 3. But maybe that's cause i'm slow. . . :(

That sounds more realistic to me. I'm following the "rule of 6's." Six months for Step 1, 6 weeks for Step 2, and 6 days for Step 3. (Yes, I just made that up).

DOCTORSAIB said:
That sounds more realistic to me. I'm following the "rule of 6's." Six months for Step 1, 6 weeks for Step 2, and 6 days for Step 3. (Yes, I just made that up).

I saw a FMG studying for Step 1 for over a year (and still is last time I saw her a few weeks ago)...

Anyone else have an opinion on the Qbank vs. UW debate? I'm curious about this as well, since i have to take step 2 soon.

Oh, and the line I heard was 2 months for step 1, 2 weeks for step 2, and a #2 pencil for step 3. I studied 5 weeks for step 1, but 2 weeks for step 2 seems about right.

I agree with the 2 weeks for Step 2....(although Boards and Wards says 2 days....impossible to get through that book in 2 days)

I am taking my Step 2 in 4 days and have been studying for 3 weeks so far on a light rotation and I am about ready to put a bullet in my head :eek:. I have been using UW since I heard that it was more difficult than Qbank. Cant tell you for sure as I have not used Step 2 Qbank (did use for Step 1). However, I do like UW and the challenge makes me want to learn more. I tried the Kaplan Qbook and was smoking the questions which was giving me a sense of security...which may be bad or may be good...I just didnt want the actual Step 2 to be any harder than my study materials. We shall see in 4 days.

Good luck with you studying and heres to getting this over with...cheers