UW vs UNLV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFdentalgirl

Hello
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Dental Students!

I am currently trying to decide between UW and UNLV... I have been trying to make a decision over the past couple of weeks and am having a really hard time.

I was hoping some of the current students at these schools could provide me with some honest insight on how they feel about where they attend.

If you want to send it in a private message, that's fine too. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you serious! I am biased but this is a no brainer... UW all the way. UW will give you an excellent education, and top notch clinical experience, all at a fraction of the cost. I can't think of any reason to pick UNLV unless you absolutely hate Seattle. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Are you serious! I am biased but this is a no brainer... UW all the way. UW will give you an excellent education, and top notch clinical experience, all at a fraction of the cost. I can't think of any reason to pick UNLV unless you absolutely hate Seattle. PM me if you have any specific questions.

May I ask you what experiences you have had at UNLV SDM to make such brazen remarks? Maybe the undergrad doesn't have as much of a strong reputation compared to the rest of the national universities according to US News rankings. I can assure you that the dental school is in its own league my friend. Top notch facilities, all patient scheduling is done for you, excellent sim lab, faculty are great (several of whom wrote national dental books that are widely used across the country), patient lobby is always jam packed, not many specialties here so we see everything as students. Get real dude. UW is a great dental school also, but you have no credibility, Guy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did I say anything about the quality of education at UNLV? Obviously I am going to be biased toward UW, but as a washington state resident how could you justify paying $53,000 per year at UNLV rather than $16,000 at UW for the same degree, and for the sake of argument, equal quality of academic/clinical experience.

UNLV has a much better climate

Did I say anything about the quality of education at UNLV? Obviously I am going to be biased toward UW, but as a washington state resident how could you justify paying $53,000 per year at UNLV rather than $16,000 at UW for the same degree, and for the sake of argument, equal quality of academic/clinical experience.

She doesn't care she is AF ROTC, it gets paid for no matter where she goes. UNLV costs more so she could feel like her time in the AF is worth more since they paid more for education, maybe.. ?

I graduated from UNLV. I would choose UW. While UNLV is a fine school, UW is much more established. I can't imagine that UNLV has worked out all of their issues yet. Best of luck.

there are still some issues at UNLV, but what school does not. I am in my first year and love it. I have heard great things about UW. I would choose UW it is established, although I feel I will be a great dentist when I come out of UNLV there are some issues with funding and such as the State of Nevada is struggling. If you get into a cheaper school even though your not paying for it go there unless you absolutely love Vegas. I love the school so far, but there are still some kinks not as much as our first graduating class or our 4th graduating class due to the fact that our student body and our new dean our changing things for the better. Faculty are great, if you know how to handle people, and faculty are great. If UW has old clinical views and old equipment and old techniques, which I don't think they do come here. Also ask students how many endo cases they have done at each school. Ask them how many bridges, crowns, class 2, class 3, class 4, class 5 (these are fillings on different surfaces of the tooth) they have done see how experienced you will be when you come out. This will depend on the student so ask at least five and compare. To me 30 vs 5 if you have done 30 endo cases to me your good to go you know which ones you can handle and which ones to refer out if you have done 5 you might need guidance when you walk out the door, and you will be paying for that guidance through extra classes, time, or your own malpractice insurance. Good luck!