UW vs UPS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Etmoi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone currently attending or plan to attend either UW or UPS? I would love to hear about your opinion of the strength and weakness of their programs.

I am accepted by both schools and UPS also offered me a good scholarship. Both are really good choices, I am not sure how to choose. I live on the eastside, so going to UW is definitely an easier commute, in addition to it being a lot cheaper. I was not very impressed by its facility during my visit last year though, the buildings look very old. However, it is in no way an indication of their education quality.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

how did you hear about UW??

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! Based on what I've heard from current students, both programs will set you up with a great education. UPS has a clinic on site that you will spend more time in, while with UW, you'll spend more time off-campus. I personally know 4 people who are in the program at UW right now and they all have great things to say about it. The space is definitely not glamorous but it seems to not get in the way :) Congrats again!!

Congratulations on your acceptances! I also applied to UW but won"t find out their decision until tomorrow (hopefully!). Would you mind sharing your stats?

I also found out I was accepted at UW! For those who are wondering when they will find out, I received a voicemail from Mary sometime this afternoon.

I also found out I was accepted at UW! For those who are wondering when they will find out, I received a voicemail from Mary sometime this afternoon.

Congratulations! I had heard that they were mailing decisions... had you contacted Mary previously to ask about your status, or did she call out of the blue?

Congratulations! I had heard that they were mailing decisions... had you contacted Mary previously to ask about your status, or did she call out of the blue?
I received the call out of the blue, but in the voicemail she said official letters were going to be mailed as well.

I received the call out of the blue, but in the voicemail she said official letters were going to be mailed as well.

Thanks, hopefully she just didn't get around to calling everyone who was accepted! :) Would you mind sharing your stats?

Congratulations! Based on what I've heard from current students, both programs will set you up with a great education. UPS has a clinic on site that you will spend more time in, while with UW, you'll spend more time off-campus. I personally know 4 people who are in the program at UW right now and they all have great things to say about it. The space is definitely not glamorous but it seems to not get in the way :) Congrats again!!

Thank you! Do you know if UPS integrates hand on practice earlier on or more than UW?

Did the scholarship information come on the acceptance letter?

No, it came in a separate letter. I also got a call notifying their scholarship decision before receiving the letter.

I was also accepted into UPS with a scholarship, and just heard word I was accepted into UW. So really now for me they will be almost the same cost.

I too feel torn, although for me UPS is closer than UW. I loved UPS at their info session, and was therefore a bit disappointed at the UW facility. I have really enjoyed looking at the UPS facebook page, and get excited imagining myself in the pictures next year! However I do think both programs are obviously great, it just depends on what is the best fit for you personally. I know that I have talked to a few OT's during my shadowing, and many said that UPS students are more prepared for Fieldwork, where as UW is a very academic program and maybe not as hands on because they do not have the on site clinic. UW is 9 quarters straight, and UPS has the entire summer off between year one and two, which may not matter but in terms of quality of life might be nice to have. I think UW has the status as being high caliber because its the UW, and UPS is more intimate and has a lot more state of the art equipment.At UW you will share many classes with PT from what I have heard, which may be nice but one student told me the A&P at UPS is much more focused on OT work. UPS has the option of MSOT, although most people say that does not matter.I hope more current students can give their insights! Both programs seem really great.

I was also accepted into UPS with a scholarship, and just heard word I was accepted into UW. So really now for me they will be almost the same cost.

I too feel torn, although for me UPS is closer than UW. I loved UPS at their info session, and was therefore a bit disappointed at the UW facility. I have really enjoyed looking at the UPS facebook page, and get excited imagining myself in the pictures next year! However I do think both programs are obviously great, it just depends on what is the best fit for you personally. I know that I have talked to a few OT's during my shadowing, and many said that UPS students are more prepared for Fieldwork, where as UW is a very academic program and maybe not as hands on because they do not have the on site clinic. UW is 9 quarters straight, and UPS has the entire summer off between year one and two, which may not matter but in terms of quality of life might be nice to have. I think UW has the status as being high caliber because its the UW, and UPS is more intimate and has a lot more state of the art equipment.At UW you will share many classes with PT from what I have heard, which may be nice but one student told me the A&P at UPS is much more focused on OT work. UPS has the option of MSOT, although most people say that does not matter.I hope more current students can give their insights! Both programs seem really great.

We should talk! Where are you located?

i was also accepted into ups with a scholarship, and just heard word i was accepted into uw. So really now for me they will be almost the same cost.

I too feel torn, although for me ups is closer than uw. I loved ups at their info session, and was therefore a bit disappointed at the uw facility. I have really enjoyed looking at the ups facebook page, and get excited imagining myself in the pictures next year! However i do think both programs are obviously great, it just depends on what is the best fit for you personally. I know that i have talked to a few ot's during my shadowing, and many said that ups students are more prepared for fieldwork, where as uw is a very academic program and maybe not as hands on because they do not have the on site clinic. Uw is 9 quarters straight, and ups has the entire summer off between year one and two, which may not matter but in terms of quality of life might be nice to have. I think uw has the status as being high caliber because its the uw, and ups is more intimate and has a lot more state of the art equipment.at uw you will share many classes with pt from what i have heard, which may be nice but one student told me the a&p at ups is much more focused on ot work. Ups has the option of msot, although most people say that does not matter.i hope more current students can give their insights! Both programs seem really great.

Hi Lulu123,

Congratulations! What you said is exactly how I feel.I have compared the course plans for each school, and feel more excited about UPS's. I have heard the UPS allow students to learn at their own pace in the free clinic with guidence of experienced faculty, which better prepared students for real practice. However, many OTs I work with warned me that field works are designed for students to get hands on experience and most of their knowledge actually comes from their jobs. There is a limit on how much school can prepare you, because there is such much to learn. 

Is your scholarship for both years or one year? I will contact them to see what options I have for my second year, my letter just mentioned the first year. Even if I get the same amount for my second year, there is still 20,000 difference between UW and UPS, which is very significant. My email is avecchen@gmail.com, if you would like to talk directly. 

Thank you! 

Hey I will shoot you an email as I could at this point probably write a novel. I am at work but will be emailing you today !

An OT a job shadowed with went to UW and really liked it and she also put it to me this way, you're going to get the same license and make the same amount of money whether you spent $40,000 a year or $15,000 a year on your education.

An OT a job shadowed with went to UW and really liked it and she also put it to me this way, you're going to get the same license and make the same amount of money whether you spent $40,000 a year or $15,000 a year on your education.

Hi Amanda579,

Do you know if UW students get to learn at the medical center or other UW affiliated clinics? I heard that they do not. If there is no tuition difference or very little differences between those two schools, which one would you choose?

Thank you!