UW Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on the alternate list at Wisconsin heard anything from them yet? If you did, did you update them with any new information?

Members don't see this ad.

I am still waiting to hear back from them, I interviewed on the 13th of February so I don't expect to hear something for 2 more weeks. Did they send you a letter telling you your position on the alternate list? Also, did they really get back to you withing 4 weeks of your interview? Thanks.

I have been on the "top part" of the waitlist since fall. And I haven't heard anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on October 3rd, and about four weeks later I got a letter saying that I was also in the "top part" of the list. I'm thinking that maybe I should make some phone calls or update them with my fall grades.

Sounds like I have 2 more weeks to wait for that letter, or the big rejection. There are not too many WI posts, so it is hard to get a feeling if they are waiting to send out the majority of their actual acceptances or if they have already filled all of them. Does anyone know if schools use the waitlist as a holding pool for the "maybe's" while they look at other applicants?

I know that Wisconsin accepts the very best applicants first and puts on the waitlist those who are good enough to be accepted (just not until the top students get the nod).

In my case it was exactly 4 weeks since my interview when they reviewed me and sent a letter right away. Well, guess what. I am waitlisted. Any inputs on how to improve my chances to move on up the list? Does anybody know any statistics?

I called the admissions office at the 3 week period inquiring about my status, assuming they had already determined it based on their quoted 4 week turn around. They told be that I wasn't being presented to the committe until the 30th of this month, so if I do hear anything I expect it to be the waitlist. I interviewed 3 weeks earlier then they scheduled me so I expect they put me in the order to be reviewed based on my original interview date which was the 5th of March.
I doubt that there is much you can do to improve your wailist position short of winning the Nobel Prize in Science. Just hope that people decide they don't like the cold of Wisconsin or being referred to as a "Cheese Head" Good Luck!

That's kinda strange, B-Daddy, because in my case they called me and offer an early interview as well, but reviewed my case exactly in 4 weeks since actual interview. Anyway, I guess they already offered all the spots, so waitlists are the best at this point.
Does anybody know if there is any deadline when applicants have to decline the offer if they were accepted?

Oh, and another question I have is how do you know your ranking in the waitlist? Did they tell you in the letter? Would they tell if I call?