UWash or USC-Keck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

el dudarino

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get some advice from current medical students - which medical school would you choose to attend - USC-Keck or UW? ANY advice/information would help a lot!! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

el dudarino said:
I wanted to get some advice from current medical students - which medical school would you choose to attend - USC-Keck or UW? ANY advice/information would help a lot!! Thanks.

his dudeness

i am a 3rd year at Keck and I love it. LA is better than people say and the weather, well it makes a huge difference that I can go to the beach year round and still snowboard in the winter. the teachers are good, not great and the students are motivated but not too much so. the best part is the clinical training, you will see more and do more third and fourth year than just about anywhere and that is more important than most pre-meds give it credit for.

that said, Uwash has got a better name and that is definitly worth something. seatle is great and though i dont know many people who went there im sure people love it.

good luck

simoin said:
and the students are motivated but not too much so.

mmm ... saying something like that reflects kind of badly on the entire student population at keck. i'm a first year, and my classmates are very motivated, bright people. not that they're competitive, but they work hard and know what they want. every class is different ...

Members don't see this ad :)
My husband goes to UWash currently, and he's enjoying it. There's a big emphasis in 3rd year rotations on primary care, so it's tough to get clinical experience in more specialized areas earlier than late 3rd year/early 4th, but it can be done. The class schedule isn't too bad the first couple of years (a lot of partial days in class, not many long days in a classroom), 3rd year sucks (you'll probably have to do 1 or 2 rotations at an away site), and 4th year is pretty laid back for most people. The away rotations are in Idaho, Montana, Alaska, Wyoming, and the rest of Washington (WWAMI program). Most people enjoyed thier away rotations, since there were typically less students - they got to participate in more procedures and the like.

dara678 said:
mmm ... saying something like that reflects kind of badly on the entire student population at keck. i'm a first year, and my classmates are very motivated, bright people. not that they're competitive, but they work hard and know what they want. every class is different ...

Well I'm a third year too, and I'd say that we are all well-motivated, just not at the expense of others. The student population at Keck for the most part is a very well-balanced, well-adjusted, happy group of excellent students. And you can't beat the County hospital; that's what brought me here.