UWashington Class 2012

Started by HealthE
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I have.

It was a difficult decision between Berkeley, Columbia, and UW, made even more difficult because I haven't been able to locate any RAs or funding positions at UW so I'm attending blindly with the hopes that some kind of financial assistance will materialize within the next 4 months. But ultimately, I felt that the PH program, and Epi specifically, were so impressive it was an opportunity I couldn't turn down.

I currently work for UCSF and went to a conference put on by the Center for AIDS Prevention. One of the Keynote speakers was a UW MPH graduate. The other Keynote speaker is a top policy advisor to Obama on national strategy for eliminating HIV/AIDS, and he cited research from Matthew Golden, who is a current UW professor.

It was a very specific and limited experience, but a sign I think that I made the right choice.

UW 2012, MPH in Epidemiology!
 
Cool. I am doing Health Services but I will be taking the whole EPI sequence since I am considering getting a PhD. It would be nice to have a study buddy. Congrats on your decision!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm still deciding between UW and Columbia...and I'm having such a hard time deciding that I got them to extend my deadline until next Monday... I would be doing Health Services. If anyone has any advice re: UW vs. Columbia it would be appreciated!
 
I'm still deciding between UW and Columbia...and I'm having such a hard time deciding that I got them to extend my deadline until next Monday... I would be doing Health Services. If anyone has any advice re: UW vs. Columbia it would be appreciated!

What do you want to do after? or live? I have visited both. Maybe, I can help.
Also, how important is financial aid/cost?
This is what my decision came down to and I chose UW.
 
To those of you set on going to UW---got a question for you----I applied to the MHA program at UW this year but didn't get in. I guess this year they had a lot of applicants who applied, and many of those applicants had years of work experience ( I am a senior in college with little related healthcare management experience). I was thinking about applying to the Health services program next year. Does this program also require extensive work experience in order to be competitive or extensive related MPH related work experience? How different is the program from the MHA one? Thank you!
 
To those of you set on going to UW---got a question for you----I applied to the MHA program at UW this year but didn't get in. I guess this year they had a lot of applicants who applied, and many of those applicants had years of work experience ( I am a senior in college with little related healthcare management experience). I was thinking about applying to the Health services program next year. Does this program also require extensive work experience in order to be competitive or extensive related MPH related work experience? How different is the program from the MHA one? Thank you!

The young students I met coming straight out of college had pretty impressive health policy related internships during college. Also, they had very high GPAs. If you do not have either one of these, experience is key for you. Get a solid year or two of health administration or services related work and write a great essay. You will be in then.

MHA is best if you want to work in a hospital setting or some other clinical setting managing operations.

MPH in Health Services is broader. If you aren't sure what you want to do, an MPH is probably a better idea because it isn't as narrow as an MHA.
 
Yea, i have a high GPA and a really good GRE score. But they straight out told me that the lack of work experience was the item that worked against me in this application cycle. They mentioned that I should work at least 2 years in a related field and reapply then, but honestly I don't want to wait that long to go back to school and that's why I was curious if the health services program had the same qualifications as the MHA program this year, or is their admissions based mainly on numbers if you got the goods. Appreciate the advice. UW was my top choice thus I am really disappointed.
 
MPH and HealthE, when are you guys planning to move to Seattle? I'm planning to drive up from San Francisco toward the end of August to look for apartments. I know it's a bit premature, but maybe when it gets closer to fall we can make a plan to meet up and say hi.
 
MPH and HealthE, when are you guys planning to move to Seattle? I'm planning to drive up from San Francisco toward the end of August to look for apartments. I know it's a bit premature, but maybe when it gets closer to fall we can make a plan to meet up and say hi.

I'm also headed to UW (from SF) to start the PhD program (in health services). Would love to hear any advice on finding a place up in Seattle. I'm actually thinking of starting the search pretty early on (~June) since we have a dog, and that might make the apt/house hunt a little more trying.


Also, @dancingdoctor, i've been working in healthcare admin for a couple years with an MPH. I completely agree that you should try to get a couple years of experience under your belt. for many HPM MPH programs and MHA programs, in particular, experience is what is setting applicants apart, especially now that the applicant pool has grown and admit pools may shrink.
 
MPH and HealthE, when are you guys planning to move to Seattle? I'm planning to drive up from San Francisco toward the end of August to look for apartments. I know it's a bit premature, but maybe when it gets closer to fall we can make a plan to meet up and say hi.


I was thinking of starting to look in early August. I would not move until September though. I have talked to some students they suggested greenlake or wallingford among a few other places. Ideally, I would like to find an affordable place in fremont or capitol hill but we will see.
 
Has anybody on here been able to secure an RA position for next year? I e-mailed a bunch of professors several months ago (after receiving my acceptance), but was told during Epi Visit Days that it's pretty unlikely to receive an offer prior to matriculation for an MPH (at least this year, due to the economy).

I was just wondering if other people have had any luck or have any advice.
 
It is exciting to read about everyone's acceptances for school! I recently accepted an offer from UW's MHA program for this fall. Curious to know if anyone else reading these posts will be in my class?

I've also lived here in Seattle for about 5 years now so would be willing to recommend good neighborhoods, places to eat, etc. for those of you who will be new to town.

Go Dawgs!
 
jbronk-congrats on your acceptance to the MHA program---I wish I was going-I really really wanted to attend UW MHA program but i was rejected since I lacked work experience, thinking i'll apply again in a few years. From what I heard, the program is AAA-MAZING-Good luck!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anybody on here been able to secure an RA position for next year? I e-mailed a bunch of professors several months ago (after receiving my acceptance), but was told during Epi Visit Days that it's pretty unlikely to receive an offer prior to matriculation for an MPH (at least this year, due to the economy).

I was just wondering if other people have had any luck or have any advice.


I have been in contact with some professors. I might have some possibilities for the fall depending on whether or not certain grants get funding. Most professors are probably in this situation I imagine. I would just email and stay in regular contact with them through the fall. I am sure you will hear something.
 
Hello all! I'll be joining you at UW, doing the MPH in Health Services. I've also been looking for RA positions and am in contact with a couple of professors but because of my research interests they are in departments outside of public health. I wont really be able to know anything for sure until closer to the fall. From what I've heard a lot of students are able to find RAs if they really want one. What I am wondering is if any of you others in health services have received anything about enrollment/registration after accepting their offer? I know we have a deposit due sometime.
 
Hello all! I'll be joining you at UW, doing the MPH in Health Services. I've also been looking for RA positions and am in contact with a couple of professors but because of my research interests they are in departments outside of public health. I wont really be able to know anything for sure until closer to the fall. From what I've heard a lot of students are able to find RAs if they really want one. What I am wondering is if any of you others in health services have received anything about enrollment/registration after accepting their offer? I know we have a deposit due sometime.


I haven't heard anything. Hopefully, we will get something soon!