UWORLD average

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since this been brought up once again..I posted this back when I was on my first pass of UWORLD..I did UWORLD a total of 3 times, scored 69% 88% 93%. my last 2 NBMEs are in the 240-250s. When I did the real exam, to my surprise, I felt the questions a lot easier than UWORLD, only a few of them are really wordy, most of them are around the NBME level. True, there will be stuff that you've literally never heard of by that time (like I got a question on % body area burnt... I had no idea about the rule of 9s when I took STEP 1), but the majority (I would say 30-35/40) of the questions will be the stuff that you know.

TLDR don't worry too much about UWORLD percentage, the real exam isn't going to be that bad.

Members don't see this ad.

That website was no where near correct for me.

The problem with using Uworld % correct to approx your score is that the number is split into three pools of source data: 1) people who do it by system and go about as they learn (conflating their % correct), 2) people do full randos during dedicated, and 3) people who cheat and look things up before selecting answers because they literally can’t handle the ego blow of getting something wrong.

So a 60% that is stated to approx 230 on step 1 is probably inflated by the lame-os who went by system/cheated the whole time. So truly a 52% or something like that is probably closer to 230 (step 1 mean score is 228 in 2018). I mean the average uworld correct is something like 48% right? Those are the same people taking step one and making the average 228 right now.

Reactions: 1 user

The problem with using Uworld % correct to approx your score is that the number is split into three pools of source data: 1) people who do it by system and go about as they learn (conflating their % correct), 2) people do full randos during dedicated, and 3) people who cheat and look things up before selecting answers because they literally can’t handle the ego blow of getting something wrong.

So a 60% that is stated to approx 230 on step 1 is probably inflated by the lame-os who went by system/cheated the whole time. So truly a 52% or something like that is probably closer to 230 (step 1 mean score is 228 in 2018). I mean the average uworld correct is something like 48% right? Those are the same people taking step one and making the average 228 right now.

According to my UWorld, the median (and 48%tile score) is 63%. So I would say the average is pretty close to that. However, I do agree that it would be a little lower if you everyone completed UW random, timed.

Members don't see this ad :)

I had something closer to >75% and I got around a 235-240. But fundamentally what may have a determining effect is your performance on the last say, third of the qbank. If you're hitting >70% on each test, then you'll probably hit around a 230 or over. But if you're stuck in 60s or lower then chances are you're going to probably hit under a 230.

hey i was wondering if you could let me know what you were doing throughout your Uworld first pass to go from 72% in the beginning to 88% at the end?

I am currently at 72% overall on my 1st pass with 500 question left, but I have not been able to bump up my scores. This is probably due to a lack of review of my own Anki cards I have been making, but I was wondering if there is anything else you did while going through it.
REVIEW YOUR ANKI CARDS!!!! I started to see about a 5% bump on each block after I started hitting all of my flashcards for step 1. Same pattern again for step 2. Think of it this way: you're using UW, not as a predictor of your score, but as a way to identify your gaps in knowledge. Your Anki cards are your gaps in knowledge. Fill those gaps and you will be prepared to rock step 1! Also, 72% is pretty good. My first pass was 68% and I came out with 261. I have no doubt that Anki was the reason why.

Reactions: 1 users
REVIEW YOUR ANKI CARDS!!!! I started to see about a 5% bump on each block after I started hitting all of my flashcards for step 1. Same pattern again for step 2. Think of it this way: you're using UW, not as a predictor of your score, but as a way to identify your gaps in knowledge. Your Anki cards are your gaps in knowledge. Fill those gaps and you will be prepared to rock step 1! Also, 72% is pretty good. My first pass was 68% and I came out with 261. I have no doubt that Anki was the reason why.

Thanks so much for the insight. I have about 600 Anki cards from all of my incorrects and I am going to be doing 40 new cards + 20 review cars per day at the least, so I am hoping that suffices.

Also, my NBME scores were notably lower than yours, despite the slightly higher UWorld avg, which has me really confused. Did you approach your NBME questions differently vs. UWorld? My scores are 230/225/228 on NBME's 13/15/16, which is really discouraging given my goal score. Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated! Thanks again.

You could probably do more cards per day, but that's up to you and the schedule you have. I don't think I approached the NBMEs differently.