Uworld internal medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theTruth_97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
a couple weeks into my rotation and I've been doing questions on a somewhat daily basis and I seem to be getting destroyed.

I still can't seem to get over 60%.....should I worry or is it common for people to get #s around 60 and still pass the shelf?

Members don't see this ad.

You're not doomed. I posted a pretty much identical thread to this when i started internal a few months ago. Ended up with 90+ on the shelf.

Pick one of the big books (step up, nms, im essentials) to read cover to cover, read about your patients on up to date, and keep pounding uworld +/- mksap. You should be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
so now two weeks away from the test. Still stuck around 63% overall correct for internal which is frusturating (my individual tests generally are around 60s with once in a while outliers with 80% or even like a 40%). I'm making notes of stuff I get wrong and I will review it the week before test.

I feel you man. I'm a few weeks into my medicine rotation and uworld is really tough. Just keep plugging away at it / reviewing stuff and hope for the best.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's struggling with UWorld IM. My overall % switches back and forth from a 64 to a 65. I have like 260 more questions to go and then I'll go over the ones I got incorrect one more time. Then I plan on doing IM essentials. I hope that's enough. UWorld depresses me because if the real test is anything like this then I doubt I'll do very well.

somewhere Uworld says that they expect the average student to get 60% of the bat and they design it that way arguing that you don't want it to be a bunch of stuff you already know and that you'll be learning more from a bank you get 60s on rather than 80s. Make sense??

Reactions: 1 user
UWorld is tough. Sounds like you are doing pretty well on your first round. After I finished the Qbank, I took a little break then restarted. Make sure sure to read Step Up or Secrets to help supplement.

medmatchplus+

You're not doomed. I posted a pretty much identical thread to this when i started internal a few months ago. Ended up with 90+ on the shelf.

Pick one of the big books (step up, nms, im essentials) to read cover to cover, read about your patients on up to date, and keep pounding uworld +/- mksap. You should be fine.

All of this can be done in 3 months outside of shift 6am-5PM, plus assignments?

All of this can be done in 3 months outside of shift 6am-5PM, plus assignments?
It's not easy but it's definitely doable. I read all of NMS, did all the IM uworld q's, did the mksap/IME questions, and read up on my patients. It takes discipline when you're tired and burned out when you get home but that's pretty much how it goes for M3 in general (and it's definitely easier to find the study time on IM than it will be on surgery). That being said, I'm not sure what the assignments you're referencing are so that I can't speak to that. During my clinical rotations outside the occasional talk an attending might ask you to give on rounds the next day we didn't have much in the way of formal assignments other than of clinical duties (maybe submit a couple of sample H&Ps, honestly it was long enough ago that I don't really remember).

It's not easy but it's definitely doable. I read all of NMS, did all the IM uworld q's, did the mksap/IME questions, and read up on my patients. It takes discipline when you're tired and burned out when you get home but that's pretty much how it goes for M3 in general (and it's definitely easier to find the study time on IM than it will be on surgery). That being said, I'm not sure what the assignments you're referencing are so that I can't speak to that. During my clinical rotations outside the occasional talk an attending might ask you to give on rounds the next day we didn't have much in the way of formal assignments other than of clinical duties (maybe submit a couple of sample H&Ps, honestly it was long enough ago that I don't really remember).

No long H&P assignments, ethics/healthcare assignments? No case presentations to make and prep for? Man what is with my school....

No long H&P assignments, ethics/healthcare assignments? No case presentations to make and prep for? Man what is with my school....

Those build character and put hair on your chest

Reactions: 1 user