UWorld MCAT Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted927298

Hi guys, major stats question here. How do you know the blue error bars don't overlap but the red do in this problem?

Members don't see this ad.

Look at the bars. In the blue region the top bar of the middle graph and the bottom bar of the top grab do not overlap. But the error bars in the red area are connecting the middle and bottom graph suggesting that the errors are overlapping.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look at the bars. In the blue region the top bar of the middle graph and the bottom bar of the top grab do not overlap. But the error bars in the red area are connecting the middle and bottom graph suggesting that the errors are overlapping.
What is overlapping? In both cases they look they are touching? I guess I’m not visually seeing it.

Going from top to bottom let’s call data groups 1,2, and 3. For groups 1 and 2, there is no overlap in error bars. The error band for group 1 and the error band for group 2 are not touching/overlapping. The error bands for groups 2 and 3 are overlapping, i.e. the lower end of the error band for group 2 is lower than the upper end of the error band for group 3.

Visually, look how there is a black line in the red and no black line in the blue...

Going from top to bottom let’s call data groups 1,2, and 3. For groups 1 and 2, there is no overlap in error bars. The error band for group 1 and the error band for group 2 are not touching/overlapping. The error bands for groups 2 and 3 are overlapping, i.e. the lower end of the error band for group 2 is lower than the upper end of the error band for group 3.

Visually, look how there is a black line in the red and no black line in the blue...

Isn't this mixed up though? It looks like blue is overlapping and red is not. I don't love this graph.

Oh, I get it. This is a stupid figure. They butted the blue box all the way against the error bars. There are two separate bars on each column of dots. The dotted and dashed lines share an error bar and the solid line has its own.