Uworld- plateaus?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by sjonies88, May 16, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. sjonies88

sjonies88

May 16, 2014
    Hey everyone! I'm newish to SDN - discovered it a few weeks ago and been browsing on the forums recently but had a question I wasn't able to find an answer to. I know a lot of people say to use Uworld as a learning tool instead of an evaluation tool, and that is what my mentality is (or that is what I am trying to have my mentality be!) However, I noticed a trend in my scores that worries me - I started Uworld (timed, random blocks of 46Q) with around 61% on each block, went up to low-mid 70%s a few weeks ago and now am back consistently scoring 61-63% on my past 5 blocks of questions. My test is in a couple weeks and I am worried about this apparent plateau in my scores. I've taken two NBME in the past 2 weeks and scored in the mid to low 220s on each, if that helps add anything to the bigger picture of where I'm at. Given the overall picture, should I be concerned about the plateau in my Uworld scores or is this plateau normal and, regardless of the plateau, are my Uworld scores in a reasonable range if my goal on this exam is ideally 230+? Thanks in advance for any help or insight!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Apoplexy__

Apoplexy__ Blood-and-thunder appearance Bronze Donor 2+ Year Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Up on the Hydra's back
    From day 1 to completion, my UWorld percentage changed a total of 7% from lowest to highest average. 60% on random sounds very good for someone attempting 230+, but they always say that UWorld %'s are very bad at predicting. However, the fact that you're scoring 220's on NBME's with a couple weeks to go is very encouraging.

Don't let the UWorld % get you down. You'll have peaks -- and valleys.

4. sjonies88

sjonies88

May 16, 2014
    Thanks for your thoughts! Peaks and valleys seems to be the name of the game - good to know that some of that is to be expected :)