UWorld?!?!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HMSBeagle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I have step 1 this week and my UWorld average is 55%. The best I've done for an individual set(48 questions) is 73% and the worst 42%, but mostly I've been getting between 58 and 54% correct. I don't know what to make of it and I'm getting scared because I've heard that you need like 50% on the real thing to pass and even more to get a high score:scared::confused:. Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about it much. So long as you learned from the mistakes you made you'll do fine. Your world percentage is usaully low so its not something to be alarmed about. If you did USMLERx your average would and should be 65+ so for world thats about right.

Have you taken any NBMEs? Those are usually pretty close.

If you havent taken any, and really want to see where you stand, take the Free 150 which can be found here: http://www.usmle.org/Orientation/2008/menu.html (the step 1).

As you would expect, it is 150 questions. Once you are done and get your percent go to medfriends.com and use their step 1 calculator. I found it to be pretty acurate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say this over and over again, but I don't think anyone listens. ;) I would absolutely not use USMLE World to attempt to predict your score. I just don't think it is a reliable estimate. I've seen plenty of people here on SDN who have failed or not done as well as they wanted with relatively high UW scores, and UW would have underpredicted my score. If it makes you feel any better, my average on UW was 60% and I got a 252. I think NBME's will be a much more reliable score predictor if you just have to know (I didn't take any, though).

Just keep doing what you're doing - USMLE World is a great learning tool and fantastic preparation for the exam.

:luck:

I did the free 150 questions. I got 80% which according to medfriends is equivalent to 239. I don't know how reliable this is but i hope it holds up, although I must say that the questions were not as hard as the qbanks.

hey,

if you want to do this the right way, you should take an NBME exam to see exactly where you stand...its predictive power works for most people. The free 150 are very good too and was very predictive of my score. I agree with above posters that the UWorld scores should not be taken to predict your final USMLE score...you should use it to see how you are improving with the question bank and how your percentages may compare to similar UWorld testtakers. Good luck!