UWSOM Secondary Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lgibb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, on the University of Washington's secondary, the second essay question asks for abstracts from publications, but if I don't have any publications, should I write anything for this question? What kind of "other personal comments" would they be looking for?

(II. Publication or Other Personal Comments
Due to the volume of applications we receive, publications or manuscripts will not be included in your application file, and cannot be returned if sent. Instead, please submit abstracts or other brief descriptions of your work.)

Members don't see this ad.

what are the other essay questions on the secondary?

There are two other questions. The first one is pretty comprehensive and there's no word limit. What else would they want to know?....

I. AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL STATEMENT ADDENDUM:
You must submit a brief autobiographical statement. It should describe the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician, your prior experiences in health care, steps taken to explore a career in medicine, your eventual goals as a physician, and other issues of importance. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your supplemental materials. Your AMCAS personal statement will already be on file with our office.

III. * WHY UWSOM STATEMENT:
You must submit a statement, not to exceed 200 words, about why you want to attend the UWSOM. This cannot be fulfilled by the AMCAS Personal Statement or the additional Autobiography Statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
did you get emailed with a link to this secondary?

Okay, if you don't have any published research articles/abstracts/tangible work product, then don't write anything for that question. It is simply supplemental (as is the nature of secondaries, I suppose), and I for one didn't write anything. The "tell us about yourself" question can be answered using your AMCAS statement. I went this route, as I felt that my statement directly addressed their topic and didn't want to simply rehash the same exact ideas over again. I think the "why UW?" question is one that people may not give enough weight to. If you're from the area, then it's fairly simple to answer convincingly. I wrote about my family's connection to the area, my desire to provide medical care to people in this region, etc. UW is one of the more straightforward secondaries I came across.

Univ of Wash screens prior to sending secondary applications. Does anyone know if they somehow inform you about the outcome of their screeening process? Or will it simply be silence if they choose not to bother with you?

Univ of Wash screens prior to sending secondary applications. Does anyone know if they somehow inform you about the outcome of their screeening process? Or will it simply be silence if they choose not to bother with you?

If your weighted gpa is 3.5 or above, and your MCAT is 27 or above, and you're WWAMI, you automatically get a secondary. Otherwise you wait for eyeballs to start looking in August. After human review you can expect to get a secondary or to be "handled" appropriately with letters & email etc.

Weighted GPA is (freshman *1) + (soph *2) + (junior *3). Divided by 6.

I know I've seen stories here about applicants who never hear back from a school, but wouldn't those be exceptions to the rule? I'm expecting to be able to wallpaper the bathroom with rejection letters.