V/Q mismatch and Hypoxemia in PE

Aclamity

Jul 6, 2011
Big Apple, USA
    maybe this is a n00b question, but I can't seem to understand why a perfusion defect (like a small PE) would lead to hypoxemia. If blood can't get into some ventilated alveoli, wouldn't it just reroute to other alveoli and get oxygenated there?

Yup, told you it was a n00b question :D

ijn

Membership Revoked
    Removed
    Nov 8, 2009
    1. Medical Student
      The fact the blood does reroute is why you can correct hypoxemia with pulmonary embolism. If it were a diffusion defect, like say in ARDS, then you couldn't correct the hypoxemia with O2 adminstration.

I doubt you'd get much hypoxemia with a small PE. With a large PE you get hypoxemia because you can't reroute all of the blood so you get shunting. The low PaO2 causes you to hyperventilate, thus lowering the PaCO2 and causing respiratory alkalosis. You can't completely compensate for a low PaO2 in a large PE without administering high FiO2.

Aclamity

Jul 6, 2011
      Big Apple, USA
        The fact the blood does reroute is why you can correct hypoxemia with pulmonary embolism. If it were a diffusion defect, like say in ARDS, then you couldn't correct the hypoxemia with O2 adminstration.

I doubt you'd get much hypoxemia with a small PE. With a large PE you get hypoxemia because you can't reroute all of the blood so you get shunting. The low PaO2 causes you to hyperventilate, thus lowering the PaCO2 and causing respiratory alkalosis. You can't completely compensate for a low PaO2 in a large PE without administering high FiO2.

also PE is painful that's why patient begins to hyperventilate taking shallow and frequent breaths

Great, thanks that's what I thought. So basically large PE -> V/Q mismatch -> hypoxemia + pain -> hyperventilation -> resp alkalosis

And with a small PE you are able to effectively reroute the blood and avoid hypoxemia

Thank you!

About the Ads

johndoe3344

10+ Year Member
        Jun 1, 2009
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          Great, thanks that's what I thought. So basically large PE -> V/Q mismatch -> hypoxemia + pain -> hyperventilation -> resp alkalosis

And with a small PE you are able to effectively reroute the blood and avoid hypoxemia

Thank you!

Yup. That's why small PE's are often asymptomatic.

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
          7+ Year Member
          Jan 22, 2010
          The "Garden" State
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            maybe this is a n00b question, but I can't seem to understand why a perfusion defect (like a small PE) would lead to hypoxemia. If blood can't get into some ventilated alveoli, wouldn't it just reroute to other alveoli and get oxygenated there?

Yup, told you it was a n00b question :D

Another answer is that areas of high V/Q can't sufficiently oversaturate Hb to compensate for the drop in O2 from areas of low V/Q ratios...

But yes the first response is hypoxic vascular contraction.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.