VA CLC psychologist burned out & debating becoming a "Zoom Doc" psychologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
It's funny because my experience--at least at this hospital and in this region--'access' to mental health treatment and psychotherapy isn't even an issue. The wait for therapy is much, much shorter at the VA than in the community at large.

The #1 issue is the problem of what I would call 'pseudo-engagement' in the psychotherapy process. But that will never be openly recognized.
When the VA "access issue" suddenly became an issue (no one gave a damn about veteran health care in 2005 or 2006) I was a practicum student, and when it became a bigger issue I was an Intern, and then during the super, super big issue (Shinseki scandal) I was staff. Access itself was never an issue at ANY facility I worked (4 different ones). People had to show up and follow (what I think to be?) quite basic directions about follow-up care/scheduling. These are not infants, but supposedly because they served in the military, now we have to treat them as such and excuse them from basic adult behaviors/responsibilities like keeping a freakin doctor appt, over and over and over. I mean, these are not state hospital mental patients for cryin out loud.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Thanks for the feedback. Is the 45 day memo thing a national policy then?

I believe so. It's 45 days notice for AL and I think they prefer it for SL, but SL should still be approved without it (because, as people have mentioned, you often don't have that much notice for medical care).

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe so. It's 45 days notice for AL and I think they prefer it for SL, but SL should still be approved without it (because, as people have mentioned, you often don't have that much notice for medical care).
I've been instructed and have had to do a 45 day memo in the past few weeks arising from scheduling/ grid errors on the part of admin staff screwing up and said so in the rationale section of the memo. I correctly stated the admin error as the reason we had to reschedule the patient. That's probably why they passive aggressively sat on it until I followed up and then nitpicked my original submission of the form and asked for revision.

Part of me wishes I had written:

"I am humbly begging the permission (in writing) of the powers that be to proceed to beg the clerk to reschedule a patient who was mis-scheduled to conflict with a service meeting because they f______d up implementation of the clinic grid schedule that was correctly sent to them. Mother may I?"

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
It's funny because my experience--at least at this hospital and in this region--'access' to mental health treatment and psychotherapy isn't even an issue. The wait for therapy is much, much shorter at the VA than in the community at large.

The #1 issue is the problem of what I would call 'pseudo-engagement' in the psychotherapy process. But that will never be openly recognized.

Well yeah. However, those facts don't win elections.

Reactions: 2 users
So I wanted to implement a four day work week so I could go skiing. I looked at my schedule and what made the most sense and then told my admin assistant to make it happen. Next Friday and every Friday through March I’m going to be skiing. It will cost me a little bit in revenue perhaps, but it was my decision. Another vote for loving private practice.

Reactions: 6 users
So I wanted to implement a four day work week so I could go skiing. I looked at my schedule and what made the most sense and then told my admin assistant to make it happen. Next Friday and every Friday through March I’m going to be skiing. It will cost me a little bit in revenue perhaps, but it was my decision. Another vote for loving private practice.

I'm getting three months paid time off for my kiddo. Not going to hate on the VA too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users