VA internship only for citizens ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KKint

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is it like this

VA internships is only for the citizens of US and not for others?

Members don't see this ad.

Why is it like this

VA internships is only for the citizens of US and not for others?

Because you a federal employee. Government policy.

on top of that

A male applicant born after 12/31/1959 must have registered for the draft by age 26 to be eligible for any US government employment, including selection as a paid VA trainee. Male applicants must sign a pre-appointment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration before they can be processed into a training program.

I think it would be wise of training programs to run this by their students when they start.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isnt it the law that males have to do that anyways?

It's the law, but as far as I know, it isn't necessarily actively enforced (i.e., odds are the govt. won't show up at your door and cart you off to jail if you didn't register for selective service). That being said, it's a decision that can follow you indefinitely, such as via being banned from federal employment.

is that actually a law? can anyone confirm that?

where is the mechanism for that law? Does everyone just do this at 18 years of age?

is that actually a law? can anyone confirm that?

where is the mechanism for that law? Does everyone just do this at 18 years of age?

i just looked it up via "le google", and it appears in WV, it is a law.
In my home state (the one and only republic of Texas :)) it appears to be that when you're 18 and do something in the DMV office, they register you for Selective Service unless you object, and if you object, you're given alternatives.

Are females going to be required at any point?

I've heard from a lawyer and a military officer who are both fully convinced that when/if another draft starts up, females will quickly be compelled to register too.