VA Job Interviewing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWillSurvive

Psychologist
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently completing my fellowship and am in the process of beginning my job search for VA positions. I am trying to understand more about the interview and hiring process in order to best prepare myself. So far, I have only applied to positions through USAjobs. The responses have been variable, some having a clerk call to extend and set up an":interview" with me, another sending an email from someone in the psychology service inviting me to "chat" about the posted position. I am wondering if I should expect the same structure and style from both of these interviews? I know VA uses PBI in some but not all interviews...anyone else have experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

My interview at a major VA center down south was definitely a chat and discussion of assessment batteries. One of the more laid back interviews I've ever had.

Don't mean to hijack but I was recently prescribed pain meds for a procedure. Anyone know if they do drug testing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would assume programs are variable in their style, like VAs themselves, but I cannot speak directly to jobs, only internship/post-doc. I would expect the phone call to be fairly informal.

On a different note, are you currently training in the VA? The VA implemented a national recruitment effort last year targeted at current fellows, and I just got word they're doing it again this year. The process appeared to match applicants with (interviews for) positions throughout VA based on mutual preferences. It seemed great- I am leaving the VA, but would have considered it otherwise.

Every VA is different. I've applied for jobs at 3 different VAs. Two were extremely informal, just chatting and answering some informal questions, and one was a strict PBI.

Out of curiosity, have you been uploading your own resume or formatting in narrative format using the USAjobs resume builder? I’ve read mixed things online about which is better?

Also, as a fellow fellow (see what I did there), I’m curious if any of the jobs you’ve applied for and been contacted about are GS13s or were they all GS12s?

I would assume programs are variable in their style, like VAs themselves, but I cannot speak directly to jobs, only internship/post-doc. I would expect the phone call to be fairly informal.

On a different note, are you currently training in the VA? The VA implemented a national recruitment effort last year targeted at current fellows, and I just got word they're doing it again this year. The process appeared to match applicants with (interviews for) positions throughout VA based on mutual preferences. It seemed great- I am leaving the VA, but would have considered it otherwise.

Yes, I saw that last year, which seemed helpful. I wonder when they will roll that out again this year?

Out of curiosity, have you been uploading your own resume or formatting in narrative format using the USAjobs resume builder? I’ve read mixed things online about which is better?

Also, as a fellow fellow (see what I did there), I’m curious if any of the jobs you’ve applied for and been contacted about are GS13s or were they all GS12s?

I upload my own resume/CV in a PDF. I am not eligible for GS 13 jobs yet, they have put me on the GS-12 level so far. I think you have to be 6 months out.

Last edited: