VA Job Offer/EDRP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWillSurvive

Psychologist
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a VA job offer today through the new VA trainee job match they are doing. Problem is...I have two business days to accept or decline and offers from other places do not have to be extended until 4/12. I was told I would receive an email with details following the phone call but did not receive it. The position has EDRP listed in the posting and the person on the phone in HR said it is eligible for EDRP. If I accept this job, I know that means having to forego other offers and also that I won't get a firm offer (i.e., letter) until much later. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions about how to best ensure that I do get the EDRP benefits? I am not sure if they typically provide things in writing at this stage...? I would hate to accept and then later find that EDRP will not be offered...any questions folks think that I should direct to HR would be super helpful.

Also, there was some mention of "EDRP retention" at some point...I wonder if anyone else has heard of this before?

Members don't see this ad.

You can certainly at least ask if they're able to give you the EDRP offer in writing. The budget/availability for it can vary, so there's a chance they may not even know if you'll get it before you apply. And while it's not something I would commonly recommend doing, people back out of job offers more frequently than they do postdoc offers (we've had multiple psychologists and psychiatrists back out at my VA, given the length of time it takes HR to process potential new hires).

RE: EDRP retention, I'm guessing they were talking about the use of EDRP as a retention tool in high-need and/or hard to fill positions.

Reactions: 1 user
(we've had multiple psychologists and psychiatrists back out at my VA, given the length of time it takes HR to process potential new hires).

RE: EDRP retention, I'm guessing they were talking about the use of EDRP as a retention tool in high-need and/or hard to fill positions.

I received a verbal offer from a VA and accepted. This occurred about 2-3 weeks ago, but I have not gotten a written offer letter. I know things take forever in the federal government. In your experience, how long should I wait to receive a firm offer letter or a tentative offer letter? Also, how long have you seen it take for someone who accepted the position to officially start at a VA? I was told 3-4 months, but in my current position (military base), credentialing and the background check took 6 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I worked at the VA, I refused to say yes to the verbal offer until they gave me written confirmation of EDRP (I still had to do an "application" but there is really no doubt they will accept it). I told this to the service chief, not some HR person, so things moved pretty fast after that.

I've seen onboarding times range from 1-2 months to 5-6 months, with 3-6 being typical; the lower end of the range is typically for direct hires.

And I would second erg's point--talk with the service chief about getting written EDRP confirmation. HR may not have the same sense of urgency in responding to you as they do someone in upper administration, especially when that person can follow-up with them in person. And your greatest negotiating leverage is had before you're employed.

Thank you for your responses. The chief actually asked HR to extend the two-business-day deadline for me, but they told them it was a firm deadline. My issue there is I could potentially get other offers from sites that were higher on my list with positions that fit me a bit better but probably won't know about those until later this wk...puts me in quite the pickle!

To make sure I am understanding what folks are saying, it would be reasonable for me to ask for something in writing (i.e., an email from HR) saying that the position is indeed eligible for EDRP prior to accepting?

If so, are there other question you would recommend asking HR (EDRP or other-related) before accepting? Thank you.

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses. The chief actually asked HR to extend the two-business-day deadline for me, but they told them it was a firm deadline. My issue there is I could potentially get other offers from sites that were higher on my list with positions that fit me a bit better but probably won't know about those until later this wk...puts me in quite the pickle!

To make sure I am understanding what folks are saying, it would be reasonable for me to ask for something in writing (i.e., an email from HR) saying that the position is indeed eligible for EDRP prior to accepting?

If so, are there other question you would recommend asking HR (EDRP or other-related) before accepting? Thank you.
If it’s in the job description that the position is eligible for EDRP, it’s eligible. That doesn’t mean that you’ll definitely get it, though. You have to apply once hired. My VA hemmed and hawed and I had to basically imply I would leave the position if it didn’t happen before they put it through.

New info today...HR says they don't think that graduate psychologists can get EDRP given that it is a "temporary" position. Ever heard this?

I honestly don't doubt this is the case...because my current site wouldn't certify me as an "employee" to begin PSLF in fellowship since I am "temporary."

No. I know/knew multiple GS-11/12s who got EDRP

New info today...HR says they don't think that graduate psychologists can get EDRP given that it is a "temporary" position. Ever heard this?

I honestly don't doubt this is the case...because my current site wouldn't certify me as an "employee" to begin PSLF in fellowship since I am "temporary."

I’ve been getting PSLF since internship at the VA. I am now on VA postdoc and still receiving PSLF. I had my training director sign the PSLF forms, not HR.

You can get EDRP as long as you are STAFF, not a trainee. If you Are being hired as a graduate psychologist, you should be able to get it.