suckerfree

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2004
Status
What is the market like for getting a job at a VA? If you have fellowship training in AP/CP, and Surgical pathology, (or Surgical pathology + cytopathology like I'm planning), would I expect to be able to land a decent VA job at a major city?

or is it possible to get a VA job being board certified in AP/CP but with no fellowship training?

OP
suckerfree

suckerfree

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2004
Status
is there anyone out there in pathology or internet land with any opinion or info on jobs at the VA?

green mantis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I've applied for a couple VA positions. I've been turned down by one (didn't even offer me an interview), & I'm still waiting to here back from the others (application period hasn't ended yet). Two graduates from my residency program got VA jobs w/ a SP fellowship. If you look at the postings on their website (www.usajobs.gov), they leave it pretty open.

The nice thing about a VA position is that you don't need to be licensed in that particular state. As long as your licensed in some state, you're OK. This is nice if you're looking to do locum tenens work.

----- Antony

OP
suckerfree

suckerfree

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2004
Status
i worked at a va in southern cali for 3 mos and one of the general pathologists was telling me he made 150+benefits after having only done a surg path fellowship and ap/cp training. I am really wondering whether he was exagerating after seeing the figures on the site listed above. Is it possible in this market to get a decent general sign out position in a decent city suburb, making 200k and going home at 5pm?

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
how about that one VA job in Southern Califrnia that pays 110K a year if you have ten years experience? You would be the head of AP and it didn't say you need a fellowship in surgpath or dermpath or anything.

Psychopathology

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2006
Status
Doesn't seem like a lot when compared to even some of the speech and language pathologist positions listed on that site.

Last edited:

cjw0918

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2001
East Coast
Visit site
Status
A friend of mine has worked at at VA in TX for 2 years w/ AP/CP+ SP f/s and he makes around 160K. He likes his job, sees interesting material, and works from about 8-4:30 M-F. He has weekend call q 5 weeks and RARELY gets called. He has some responsibility for the micro lab. They have a daily consensus conf with SP, cyto, and/or heme cases that are interesting and/or diffucult. Not a bad gig according to him.