10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
What is the landscape like for pathologists working in the VA system. I have heard that the $$ is more than academics but less than PP. Also, that there are great benefits and lots of vacation time. Is that true? Does anyone have any first hand information?

path24

7+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Pathology....the only field that gets excited about a VA job. Join up med students, you could work at a VA!!!!

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Actually this was a real question, not a political jab. I am considering applying for a VA job and I was just wondering what the situation was.

yaah

Boring
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status
Attending Physician
Lots of people like VA jobs (to suggest that is limited to some pathologists is incorrect), a lot of the time it is because of work hours and benefits - especially the way things are these days, having a government-backed set of benefits and pension is very comforting. Plus, the patient population appeals to people. A lot of VA positions are academic jobs or pseudo-academic jobs, so the pay may not be that much different (but some benefits may be better in the long run). I doubt that there is more vacation time though.

The best would be to talk to a VA pathologist - listening to someone badmouth a VA whose only experience is peripheral is generally not helpful.

Gyric

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
Status
Yes, I am curious what the salary is they are offering 2121115. My impression has always been that they are paid less than an academic of similar experience (though admittedly it seems that my institution is on the high end for academic compensation).

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Yes, I am curious what the salary is they are offering 2121115. My impression has always been that they are paid less than an academic of similar experience (though admittedly it seems that my institution is on the high end for academic compensation).
Me too. I can't imagine that they would make less than an academic of similar experience. I looked at the VA website and the low end starting salary (aka right out of training) for a pathologist (of the ones that posted a salary range) was $155k. Given that it would be uncommon for an academic to start this high I would think that they would make a little more than academics, but I'm not really sure.

I'm just trying to see what options are out there and what is available.

malchik

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I know someone who just started a VA job in which she has a joint appointment with an academic institution. She says her salary and benefits are better than they would be if she had done full academic, and she also has the academic title and research opportunities. For the right person I think it's a good deal.

Freak

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2007
Between NY and CA; Canada and Mexico
Status
MD/PhD Student
I would also be interested to know about what the VA has to offer.

I know that you do not have to be licensed in the state you work in for the VA (you just need a license in some state).

Pathwrath

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
I know several pathologists who landed nice sinecured VA jobs. The benefits, cushy schedule and job security go a long way to off-setting the lower pay. Time off for educational conferences is not great, however. Check it out.