VA Mental Health Provider Venting / Problem-solving / Peer Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2 VA admin questions:

1. Does anybody know what happens/could happen if you fall below 'fully successful' on a performance standard/evaluation? How much does this vary VA/VISN by VISN? And could it impact future employment with another VA?

2. How does your facility handle CEUs for credentialing (outside of what you need for your own license renewal)? Do you need to document 16 CEUs per calendar year based on start date? Does it need to be APA-approved? Who do you submit proof to?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry for ghosting!!! I forgot I don't have notifications set up and work/life balance is out-of-wack and haven't had time to respond...

Regarding testing... thanks for the responses and the DEnormalization that we're in fact in a crappy situation smh :(... in brief...

1. No, there is no advocacy for the clinical relevance and necessity of psychological testing. I've been with the VA for... oh God, approaching 4 years in November, and within my first year I began advocating/demanding for psychological testing duties considering 30% is supposedly allocated for that. Aside from one psychologist in the PCBH who does pre-surgical evals and our neuropsychologist who answers a gamut of referral requests (not joking), no one was doing testing. So I became it... took two years to have time approved... and was only given 3hrs a week for testing. Another psychologist joined our team in 2019, also trained forensically, wanted testing time but was only given 1hr a week and she just has to "find" the time to complete reports elsewhere. Given, she has no therapy slots- is a walk-in provider so basically does triaging and there's no way to predict the volume of patients seen- even has teleworking.

2. So no we're not given enough time for testing, much less report writing, hence yes, that's why it takes so long for us to complete an assessment and there is delayed billing We. Have. No. Time.... Previously I've worked with one day devoted to psych assessment and could churn out a report a week. It's impossible here. We keep meticulous record of our time spent during these assessment times to prove we're utilizing that time.

3. Yes the chief knows. Plot twist... the chief was the one who designated the arbitrary and nonsensical 3hrs and 1hr assessment times because "there's no demand" so why lose 4 hrs that could be therapy slots.

4. And yes, the chief knows the value of testing as chief was a forensic psychologist in a previous life.

5. just keep swimming.... just keep swimming...

Like Fan_of_Meehl related above, rest assured the bolded portion isn't just for your VA. Even in places where psychological assessment is to some extent valued, arguing for protected time for report writing is an uphill battle.

Reactions: 1 users
2 VA admin questions:

1. Does anybody know what happens/could happen if you fall below 'fully successful' on a performance standard/evaluation? How much does this vary VA/VISN by VISN? And could it impact future employment with another VA?

2. How does your facility handle CEUs for credentialing (outside of what you need for your own license renewal)? Do you need to document 16 CEUs per calendar year based on start date? Does it need to be APA-approved? Who do you submit proof to?

Thanks in advance.

1. I imagine it could result in some type of PIP, and yes, this potentially could impact future VA employment. Depending.

2. Our VA doesn't require any documentation or proof other than providing them our renewed license(s). They make absolutely no stipulations about amount or type, at least as far as I've ever known.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
2 VA admin questions:

Thanks in advance.

In all areas or just one section of the performance eval. If just one section, I don't think you need a performance improvement plan. If two or more areas then I believe it is required. I don't have the forms I'm front of me, but it should spell it out on the eval. Don't sign the form unless you understand your rating and agree with everything your boss says if it is not fully successful.

@summerbabe , I think the criteria/anchor points for determining rating within the performance domains/sections varies by site...I think this will depend on local policy. For example, if late encounters are factored into performance, I know that the timeframe within which encounters must be completed has varied at different sites I've been at. I would expect other specific details might vary similarly...I'm not sure how this would translate across a VISN. Wouldn't be surprised if leadership at each local site just determine this? Please others chime in and correct me if I'm wrong on this...

In all areas or just one section of the performance eval. If just one section, I don't think you need a performance improvement plan. If two or more areas then I believe it is required. I don't have the forms I'm front of me, but it should spell it out on the eval. Don't sign the form unless you understand your rating and agree with everything your boss says if it is not fully successful.

I would agree 100% with the bolded portion. If you aren't sure, or if you disagree with the ratings, don't sign the form until you've had a chance to discuss it with your supervisor, lead psychologist, etc.

And yes, to IWillSurvive's point, I believe the criteria for different performance rating levels are determined at the site-level and can be subject to change, such as if multiple the psychologists voice concerns about the fairness of a criterion, etc.

And yes, to IWillSurvive's point, I believe the criteria for different performance rating levels are determined at the site-level and can be subject to change, such as if multiple the psychologists voice concerns about the fairness of a criterion, etc.

Speaking of the fairness issue, we were told by admins at my last VA placement that the way neuropsychology was structured, we would never be able to get "Exceeds Expectations." We tried for the better part of a year to get objective reasons outlined to no avail. I do not miss the VA.

Reactions: 2 users
Speaking of the fairness issue, we were told by admins at my last VA placement that the way neuropsychology was structured, we would never be able to get "Exceeds Expectations." We tried for the better part of a year to get objective reasons outlined to no avail. I do not miss the VA.

Not disparate from my experiences. It's technically possible, but is easier for other providers than neuropsychologists. I don't expect the criteria will be changed.

Not disparate from my experiences. It's technically possible, but is easier for other providers than neuropsychologists. I don't expect the criteria will be changed.

Yeah, from the limited info they actually gave us, it made it seem that we could get it if we essentially worked 60 hours a week. And then you may get the chance at whatever the performance bonus is called in the VA, though I've never heard of a psychologist getting it at my old sites anyway.

Yeah, from the limited info they actually gave us, it made it seem that we could get it if we essentially worked 60 hours a week. And then you may get the chance at whatever the performance bonus is called in the VA, though I've never heard of a psychologist getting it at my old sites anyway.

In theory, neuropsychology, HBPC, etc are all supposed to have their own tailored productivity expectations and not be rated on the standard grid validation protocol. In reality, most section chiefs are too lazy to do this properly and manage it in whatever way they see fit.

In theory, neuropsychology, HBPC, etc are all supposed to have their own tailored productivity expectations and not be rated on the standard grid validation protocol. In reality, most section chiefs are too lazy to do this properly and manage it in whatever way they see fit.
Impossible.

Everyone knows that providers are to blame for every problem at the VA...they should have written their own position descriptions.

• Haha
Impossible.

Everyone knows that providers are to blame for every problem at the VA...they should have written their own position descriptions.

Of the people I know that have gotten tailored expectations, most have written their own expectations (often requesting it on the national VA listservs, hence how I know). I have not bothered as my chief doesn't seem to care and just gives me exceeds expectations every year.

I am curious why corporate America approaches this job assessment so differently from VA America???

I mean, my position is real/actual money. And lets face it, folks. VA "productivity" is mostly "monopoly money" (i.e., not real money) that they are talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious why corporate America approaches this job assessment so differently from VA America???

I mean, my position is real/actual money. And lets face it, folks. VA "productivity" is mostly "monopoly money" (i.e., not real money) that they are talking about.

Eh, I have not seen it be any better in corporate america. Just a different set of problems. At least at the VA, you rarely run into the issue or having multiple different bosses in a year and no one that accurately assess you because they have all been fired.

I would hope that no one will get dinged for low productivity this year of all years. Guess I'll find out next month though.

I would hope that no one will get dinged for low productivity this year of all years. Guess I'll find out next month though.
I have completely lost any and all fear of getting 'dinged' in any 'performance review' process at VA. (1) their criteria are a joke; (2) I would consider any 'promotion' within this system to be an actual demotion in that it would require me to fundamentally abandon my relationship with the truth and any pretense of integrity and--please pardon the bluntness--become a creature(*****) of the corrupt system of management. For now, as a frontline clinician, I am building up my clinical experience, becoming more clinically competent, and I get to tell the truth for a living.

Reactions: 5 users
I've heard of shifts in measuring productivity from RVUs to encounters, especially early in the days of COVID when so many appts were occurring by telephone and before we'd received approval for use of the various MH CPT codes for said appts. I know it's something they've been looking at very closely where I am.

I've heard of shifts in measuring productivity from RVUs to encounters, especially early in the days of COVID when so many appts were occurring by telephone and before we'd received approval for use of the various MH CPT codes for said appts. I know it's something they've been looking at very closely where I am.

Early days, Ha! I am still waiting for them to build me the appropriate telephone and VVC clinics so that I can get start using CPT codes again.

• Haha
Early days, Ha! I am still waiting for them to build me the appropriate telephone and VVC clinics so that I can get start using CPT codes again.

Hah, true enough. I meant "early" more in the sense of the CPT codes not having yet been approved for phone appointments. They built our phone and VVC clinics with remarkable speed once it was apparent that was necessary for capturing productivity, but I'm not at all surprised to hear you're still hitting a wall.

I would say at least half of my tele-appointments still occur by phone; plenty of patients seem to prefer it to VVC.

There isn't even a national RVU standard, is there? I know there's a recommended amount but the document even says there's no national standard. IIRC I even asked my supervisor about it. The recommended amount is something like 1600-1900 which just seems really high to me.

I'm doing about half VVC and half phone. A few in person now as well.

There isn't even a national RVU standard, is there? I know there's a recommended amount but the document even says there's no national standard. IIRC I even asked my supervisor about it. The recommended amount is something like 1600-1900 which just seems really high to me.

There's no national standard, at least last I checked about a year ago. I dug through everything I could find and read up on how it's all calculated. There are reports of a national median so I decided to try to exceed it by some amount.

Locally, we are not being evaluated individually in terms of productivity at this time.

There's no national standard, at least last I checked about a year ago. I dug through everything I could find and read up on how it's all calculated. There are reports of a national median so I decided to try to exceed it by some amount.

Locally, we are not being evaluated individually in terms of productivity at this time.

It's best to do the minimum in the VA, in case they come back at you with your prior year productivity, it'll then be easy to incrementally exceed that.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

What's the median, out of curiosity?

There is a 'standard' so to speak and believe it's still the 1926 RVU's per year (for psychologists). The origin of this is a document that I reviewed when I was on inpatient (and worried about RVUs) that I think was put out somewhere in the early 2010's nationally (2014?) and it was some study they did of the average (median) number of RVU's for psychologists. The thing is...this is a number that does not adjust for things like time off or %FTE devoted to clinic vs. other activities so you have to watch that. Since it is reviewed quarterly you'll notice that your numbers will seem low if you took a lot of vacation during that quarter. No matter what they say, they don't 'adjust' the calculation for time off (at least not at my site) and the reason I know this (which is what I confronted them with when they claimed that they do) is that I had two quarters that were very different in terms of the amount of time I took off and the RVU calculation had the exact same denominator in the fraction (exactly 1/4 of 1926). I also had to break out the 5th grade arithmetic (and whiteboard) to supervisors to explain to them that since I am only in my main clinic 4 out of 5 days per week, my numbers needed adjusting (prorating) to account for that fact.

Edit: The document is VHA Directive 1161

this is a number that does not adjust for things like time off or %FTE devoted to clinic vs. other activities so you have to watch that. Since it is reviewed quarterly you'll notice that your numbers will seem low if you took a lot of vacation during that quarter. No matter what they say, they don't 'adjust' the calculation for time off (

How VA of them. :bang:

There is a 'standard' so to speak and believe it's still the 1926 RVU's per year (for psychologists). The origin of this is a document that I reviewed when I was on inpatient (and worried about RVUs) that I think was put out somewhere in the early 2010's nationally (2014?) and it was some study they did of the average (median) number of RVU's for psychologists. The thing is...this is a number that does not adjust for things like time off or %FTE devoted to clinic vs. other activities so you have to watch that. Since it is reviewed quarterly you'll notice that your numbers will seem low if you took a lot of vacation during that quarter. No matter what they say, they don't 'adjust' the calculation for time off (at least not at my site) and the reason I know this (which is what I confronted them with when they claimed that they do) is that I had two quarters that were very different in terms of the amount of time I took off and the RVU calculation had the exact same denominator in the fraction (exactly 1/4 of 1926). I also had to break out the 5th grade arithmetic (and whiteboard) to supervisors to explain to them that since I am only in my main clinic 4 out of 5 days per week, my numbers needed adjusting (prorating) to account for that fact.

Edit: The document is VHA Directive 1161

The document actually says there is no national standard and it depends on your facility. If it's 1926 I'm definitely below that, though!

The document actually says there is no national standard and it depends on your facility. If it's 1926 I'm definitely below that, though!

There is no national standard for this precisely because it varies by location and position. Local chiefs are supposed to sit down with you at that meeting early in the year when you set goals and clarify the issue with you. Then you should meet or be meeting these goals by your review at the end of the fiscal year. If these goals were not clearly stated in the form you signed at the end of last year (goals for 2020), you should not sign off on accepting anything other than a meets or exceeds expectations. If your chief is unhappy with your performance, then they need to spell out those expectations in your documentation or they will have a hell of a time actually firing you.

That said, I have sat in on the meetings from national discussing how to determine this and the goal for most providers is 80% or higher of that 1926, which equates to about 5 sessions per work day. Call it 6 sessions if you account for vacations and sick leave and such. If you are in that ballpark, it should not matter. If you aren't and getting flack for it then see above. If you are getting a hard time about it in the Year of COVID for the first time, your boss is an idiot that needs to sit down and re-evaluate their life decisions.

Last edited:
There is no national standard for this precisely because it varies by location and position. Local chiefs are supposed to sit down with you at that meeting early in the year when you set goals and clarify the issue with you. Then you should meet or be meeting these goals by your review at the end of the fiscal year. If these goals were not clearly stated in the form you signed at the end of last years (goals for 2020), you should not sign off on accepting anything or than a meets or exceeds expectations. If your chief is unhappy with your performance, then they need to spell out those expectations in your documentation or they will have a hell of a time actually firing you.

That said, I have sat in on the meetings from national discussing how to determine this and the goal for most providers is 80% or higher of that 1926, which equates to about 5 sessions per work day. Call it 6 sessions if you account for vacations and sick leave and such. If you are in that ballpark, it should not matter. If you aren't and getting flack for it then see above. If you are getting a hard time about it in the Year of COVID for the first time, your boss is an idiot that needs to sit down and re-evaluate their life decisions.
What is ridiculous/hilarious is that there's actually little to nothing that I can do to 'increase' my productivity as measured by RVUs. I don't set my schedule (that was done for me)--e.g., number of appointment slots per week. I don't manage (accept/forward) consult requests. That's done automatically for me and new cases are scheduled into intake slots. I am simply responsible for seeing the people as they are set up for me. A couple years ago when all this first came down (a focus on 'productivity' per RVU totals being above a certain number) I point blank asked the service chief (in person), "Just for the sake of argument, assume that I was motivated to increase my 'productivity' as we are measuring it...since I don't make my schedule, I don't accept/reject consult requests, I don't even schedule my clients...exactly what actions could I perform (even in theory) that would result in me 'increasing my productivity score.'" They couldn't tell me. They literally said (in frustration), "I don't know."

I mean, being creative, I can come up with a few behaviors of mine that could wiggle the number around a bit (though it wouldn't have a drastic impact): I could take fewer vacations/ sick leave; I could write RTC orders so that people return to clinic at the earliest opportunity (ensuring no empty slots), and I could make sure all sessions last 53+ minutes. I suppose I could also be blamed for no-shows or cancellations since I am supposed to have total control over my clients' behavior.

Reactions: 8 users
What is ridiculous/hilarious is that there's actually little to nothing that I can do to 'increase' my productivity as measured by RVUs. I don't set my schedule (that was done for me)--e.g., number of appointment slots per week. I don't manage (accept/forward) consult requests. That's done automatically for me and new cases are scheduled into intake slots. I am simply responsible for seeing the people as they are set up for me. A couple years ago when all this first came down (a focus on 'productivity' per RVU totals being above a certain number) I point blank asked the service chief (in person), "Just for the sake of argument, assume that I was motivated to increase my 'productivity' as we are measuring it...since I don't make my schedule, I don't accept/reject consult requests, I don't even schedule my clients...exactly what actions could I perform (even in theory) that would result in me 'increasing my productivity score.'" They couldn't tell me. They literally said (in frustration), "I don't know."

I mean, being creative, I can come up with a few behaviors of mine that could wiggle the number around a bit (though it wouldn't have a drastic impact): I could take fewer vacations/ sick leave; I could write RTC orders so that people return to clinic at the earliest opportunity (ensuring no empty slots), and I could make sure all sessions last 53+ minutes. I suppose I could also be blamed for no-shows or cancellations since I am supposed to have total control over my clients' behavior.

Other options: Remind your boss that America is now great again and that you are still more productive than POTUS or Congress, lol

• Haha
Other options: Remind your boss that America is now great again and that you are still more productive than POTUS or Congress, lol
So instead of Veterans threatening to report you to Congress, we.....report on Congress?

• Haha
So instead of Veterans threatening to report you to Congress, we.....report on Congress?

Sure, why not? They complain about how hard it is to fire us. They don't even have to show up for work (and many don't), but still collect a paycheck.

Like Fan_of_Meehl related above, rest assured the bolded portion isn't just for your VA. Even in places where psychological assessment is to some extent valued, arguing for protected time for report writing is an uphill battle.
This blows my mind...I mean....you get paid for writing so...? I know the VA is fuzzier about billing, but productivity can still be captured pretty easily w. billing codes for report writing. Is this not a thing in the VA now?

Sure, why not? They complain about how hard it is to fire us. They don't even have to show up for work (and many don't), but still collect a paycheck.

Well, unlike Congress you have to abide by the Hatch Act....HAHAHAHA just kidding, we all know that the Hatch Act is meaningless, as we've seen time and time again these last 4 years :)

This blows my mind...I mean....you get paid for writing so...? I know the VA is fuzzier about billing, but productivity can still be captured pretty easily w. billing codes for report writing. Is this not a thing in the VA now?

Admins in the VA, almost always non-neuropsych people, have a very hard time grasping the somewhat simple nuances of our billing codes. Though, we shouldn't be surprised here as most admins got there by failing upwards.

Admins in the VA, almost always non-neuropsych people, have a very hard time grasping the somewhat simple nuances of our billing codes. Though, we shouldn't be surprised here as most admins got there by failing upwards.
The disconnect between administrators and clinicians is usually massive in any given hospital system, but they seem particularly bad in the VA. It's maddening.

The disconnect between administrators and clinicians is usually massive in any given hospital system, but they seem particularly bad in the VA. It's maddening.

Well, at least in the VA they are actually clinicians. My technical one up right now is some rando with a business degree. Has no idea what we do. Doesn't matter to me, I get paid FT for about 25-30 hrs/week. Good gig to have while getting the IME rep up.

This actually happened. She was a nice lady, but in her 80s and didn't want to retire. To be fair to her, she was honest in saying she didn't know.

My take: they don't care as much about getting paid as they do more patients being seen. Especially if the provider is able to rebut that they're being sufficiently productive.

Yeesh. Can’t even give them the benefit of the doubt and attribute it to the Peter Principle. Failing upwards

Admin position opens up at VA...

"What about Suzie over there? She's been with us forever, dutifully squawks out our slogans like she actually believes them, and has repeatedly demonstrated her loyalty to us at all costs."

"Set up the interview."

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Admin position opens up at VA...

"What about Suzie over there? She's been with us forever, dutifully squawks out our slogans like she actually believes them, and has repeatedly demonstrated her loyalty to us at all costs."

"Set up the interview."

Before I left, our MH chief stepped down, they were literally begging people to apply. They knew I was leaving, and still asked me to apply , as if that would make me stay. So, in this case, it wasn't who had been there a while and was most loyal, it was the only person they could get to apply for it in the end. Which also happened to be the person probably most poorly suited to the task.

• Haha
To give my VA credit, they give us sufficient time for report writing. We have a few hours blocked for testing and can use that time to write the report after we're done seeing the pt.

To follow up on that executive order discussion we had, I saw that VA psychology released a statement about it. My interpretation of the statement is "yeah, we know what the EO says but we're gonna keep doing diversity training because it's part of our field."

To follow up on that executive order discussion we had, I saw that VA psychology released a statement about it. My interpretation of the statement is "yeah, we know what the EO says but we're gonna keep doing diversity training because it's part of our field."

Would you be able to post it here or a link to it, if public?

Saw a few news stories about VA contracting out 100% of C&P exams. I know it's been in the works for sometime, but looks like it's gonna happen. Are all you VA people ready for all of the C&P exams to be done by diploma mill grads who can't find better work and are willing to either work for the low pay to do an adequate eval, or do the eval so quickly as to throw out any shred of competency and integrity they had left to pump out as many as they can to make a decent wage?

Would you be able to post it here or a link to it, if public?

Sorry, I kept forgetting! Here it is (copy and paste)

The recent OMB Orders have caused a good deal of confusion and angst. While stating that the
administration is committed to “fair and equal treatment of all individuals in the United States,”
OMB has ordered a cessation of any training that includes “divisive, un-American propaganda.”
Examples of this included press reports of training that suggested that “virtually all White
People contribute to racism,” or they “benefit from racism.”
In our professional work, VA psychologists work for and with Veterans, one of the most racially
and ethnically diverse cohorts in our country. Our APA ethical principles state, “Psychologists
are aware of cultural, individual, and role differences, including those due to age, gender, race,
ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, language, and socioeconomic
status. Psychologists try to eliminate the effect on their work of biases based on those factors,
and they do not knowingly participate in or condone unfair discriminatory practices.” Many of
us serve as training supervisors for APA-accredited internships and residencies and that
accreditation requires that we work towards having diverse faculty and training cohorts and
that we provide training that includes cultural diversity. As social scientists we recognize this
nation’s history, the fact that our justice systems often reflect unequal treatment for minority
members, and that these disparities impact the wellbeing of many members of the population
we serve.
Through our meetings, educational activities, advocacy, and work with Veterans, the
membership of AVAPL will continue to support and to promote diversity and inclusion.

Saw a few news stories about VA contracting out 100% of C&P exams. I know it's been in the works for sometime, but looks like it's gonna happen. Are all you VA people ready for all of the C&P exams to be done by diploma mill grads who can't find better work and are willing to either work for the low pay to do an adequate eval, or do the eval so quickly as to throw out any shred of competency and integrity they had left to pump out as many as they can to make a decent wage?

We're already seeing it and are pretty worried. Although our feelings are mixed tbh because we didn't like doing them ourselves and now we don't have to anymore.

I hadn't seen/heard any updates related to that here, but we tend to run a bit behind what's going on nationally. Should be...interesting. I've heard it's possible to do them competently and still make a decent financial return, but not sure (and I wonder if it varies by region).

Unfortunately, I've been at some facilities where the in-house C&P standards left a lot to be desired IMO so :shrug:

I've also never had to do them so I won't complain about keeping that streak alive.