VA Practicum - Necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fallen625

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had two great practica experiences (& should have enough hours), and I am wondering how necessary/helpful it would be to have a third one at the VA? I am expecting a second child next year (in mid-June) and it would be nice to not have a practicum since it will be a super stressful time with a newborn and internship apps.

I am also very productive and have almost 20 pubs, but I will be applying to some VAs for internship.

If I do decide to have a practica, how could I negotiate a later start date to allow me a two month maternity leave?

I am trying to figure all of this out now as I am putting my name down on daycare waitlists...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have had two great practica experiences (& should have enough hours), and I am wondering how necessary/helpful it would be to have a third one at the VA? I am expecting a second child next year (in mid-June) and it would be nice to not have a practicum since it will be a super stressful time with a newborn and internship apps.

I am also very productive and have almost 20 pubs, but I will be applying to some VAs for internship.

If I do decide to have a practica, how could I negotiate a later start date to allow me a two month maternity leave?

I am trying to figure all of this out now as I am putting my name down on daycare waitlists...

FWIW, I matched at a VA internship and had no VA practicum experience.

I also interviewed for internship at mostly VAs or consortiums. I think I had only had 2 sites that were pure AMCs.

I imagine if the VA practicum adds something to your application that you're currently missing, then go ahead and do it. If not, you may still be ok.

Reactions: 1 user

You are still enrolled. So the question, I suppose, is how does VA experience (which can be time and labor demanding) add to your training/career narrative???

Do you need more hours? Apparently not? What kind of career do you want? 20 pubs doesn't sound like clinically focused, unless you want a VA MIRREC career? You might want to do something this next year that furthers your goals, despite the growing family? But what is it?

VA practica is not necessary for a VA career...or any other scientist-practitioner career for that matter. A solid program with good training and 20 pubs should be able to get get you most anywhere you want to be. Sounds solid thus far.

I would dare say that with that record of achievement and hours, your next step could be fully your choice/indulgence? I would like to think that I was a good/successful "scientist-practitioner" for few years (not so much anymore) with half that record.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I matched to a VA with no VA practicum. I did have 4 practica under my belt, though. I'd be more concerned over the only 2 practica than the non-VA practicum.

You are still enrolled. So the question, I suppose, is how does VA experience (which can be time and labor demanding) add to your training/career narrative???

Do you need more hours? Apparently not? What kind of career do you want? 20 pubs doesn't sound like clinically focused, unless you want a VA MIRREC career? You might want to do something this next year that furthers your goals, despite the growing family? But what is it?

VA practica is not necessary for a VA career...or any other scientist-practitioner career for that matter. A solid program with good training and 20 pubs should be able to get get you most anywhere you want to be. Sounds solid thus far.

I would dare say that with that record of achievement and hours, your next step could be fully your choice/indulgence? I would like to think that I was a good/successful "scientist-practitioner" for few years (not so much anymore) with half that record.

I don't think I need more hours. I should have about 600 intervention hours and 200 assessment hours. I think that should be enough?

I want a research career, but I am mostly interested in treatment research and although I mostly want to focus on research, I would like to do some clinical work as part of my career. I am not necessarily set on a research-focused internship.

I envision my 5th year as a time to work on my internship applications and getting as much done of my dissertation as possible, and continuing to work on my research. Our practica are 16 hours a week and I am a bit scared of what it could look like to be applying for internship, having an infant and an older child, being gone 2 days a week from the lab, and working on my dissertation. I want to make sure that I have enough time to do everything that needs to be done for sure and to do it well (internship apps, dissertation). I think I could definitely fit a VA practica if it would be beneficial, but I am scared about issues such as taking enough time off for maternity leave, not feeling super frazzled etc. If I do a practicum. I don't know how receptive they would be to me starting later, but I guess I won't know until I ask.

I matched to a VA with no VA practicum. I did have 4 practica under my belt, though. I'd be more concerned over the only 2 practica than the non-VA practicum.

That's a good point. Does that include internal practica? I did 2 external but also 2 different internals, not sure if those count.

It's not necessary, but it doesn't hurt. Most of the VAs I trained/worked at, gave having a practicum in the VA a bump in the rankings. Not a huge one, but it was definitely enough to move people ahead of other people when their stats were similar.

Goddamn, woman. Leave some accomplishments for the rest of us.

Seriously though, grad school +20 pubs +pregnant+planning ahead for it= very impressive.

Reactions: 4 users
As others have said: helpful? Sure. Necessary? No. If you're considering VA long-term as a career, getting some time in now could help you to start figuring out if that's a legitimate goal. Caveat being if you have absolutely no adult experience across your two prior practica, that could be a problem, and I might then recommend the VA placement.

But also as others have said: ~20 pubs is going to be enough to wipe out plenty of slight dings, such as not having prior VA experience.

I also matched to a VA for internship with no prior VA experience. Generally, SDN recommends some research involvement, sufficient assessment hours (I want to say 100+?), and clinical experience with complex populations and evidence-based therapies.

Same here, matched at a VA/consortium with no prior VA experience. And as someone with a toddler and a 2 month old baby, I would NOT suggest taking on an additional practicum. Dissertation and internship applications plus your family will keep you busy enough. Would a VA practicum give you more experience? Yes. Is that experience "worth it"? With your stats, I don't think so.

I also matched to a VA/consortium without prior VA experience. Being able to have a good foundation of EBTs, assessment, and exposure to sub abuse and/or chronic mental health are some of the things a VA site should look for in applicants. Research productivity is a plus; great job on the 20 pubs.