O.G.
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2000
Dreaming of Margaritaville
www.-----.com
Status
Psychologist
Hello all,

It is that time of year where malpractice insurance is due and I am contemplating making a change to my policy. I had previously kept my policy as it was in private practice in case the VA gig did not work out or I added some side consulting/clinical work. However, I have not had the time/inclination to do so and I am thinking of saving the money by reducing my liability coverage. I have some VA colleagues that do not keep any malpractice, but I not quite prepared to do that yet. I was thinking about holding onto minimal malpractice liability (100,000/300,000 or 500,000/1,000,000). I am curious what other current former VA colleagues have done in this position. Thanks in advance.

WisNeuro

Board Certified Neuropsychologist
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
I didn't carry any while in the VA. If you've done outside work, you may need to keep some coverage for work you did outside of the VA in the past in case someone brings up a suit down the road.

AbnormalPsych

Clinical Psychologist
2+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2014
Status
Psychologist
I carried some while in VA, because...... the federal gov.....and VA......have burned me many times before on not following through with things. Frankly, I didn't want to trust them with such a critical thing if something bad happened. I know several others who shared my view while in VA, but most did not carry.

I was also early career, so there was probably some additional paranoia due to that.