VA Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paddington

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you learn about the salary for a VA job?

I'm in consideration for one. The salary range is X to 2.5X listed in the job announcement, depending upon one's education and experience. I've met with the department physicians who hire for the position, who told me how the VA salary structure works with base pay, market pay, and a small bonus, as well as how it's set by a panel.

So if they hire you and then a panel sets the pay afterwards, that doesn't make much sense to me. The salary range is comically huge. You could get half or double what you thought you were going to get. How are you supposed to know the salary range for one of these VA jobs, so you can make a decision if you want to go there? The recruiters don't know. The doctors don't know. Only a panel that will meet in the future after you get hired knows. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How do you learn about the salary for a VA job?

I'm in consideration for one. The salary range is X to 2.5X listed in the job announcement, depending upon one's education and experience. I've met with the department physicians who hire for the position, who told me how the VA salary structure works with base pay, market pay, and a small bonus, as well as how it's set by a panel.

So if they hire you and then a panel sets the pay afterwards, that doesn't make much sense to me. The salary range is comically huge. You could get half or double what you thought you were going to get. How are you supposed to know the salary range for one of these VA jobs, so you can make a decision if you want to go there? The recruiters don't know. The doctors don't know. Only a panel that will meet in the future after you get hired knows. :confused:

Assume X...that way you won't be disappointed, only potentially pleasantly surprised.