Vacation in Austin/San Antonio/Hill Country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Planning a getaway for about a week in early August. Texans, I need your help.

Flying to Austin from where live is easy.

Mrs. Fox isn't as intrepid as I am, so don't suggest things too radical, but I need some big rocks and adventure.

All input appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Man, you guys sure you wanna come here in August?

It’s literally the hottest month of the year here. Not sure how enjoyable rocks and adventure will be in triple digit weather…

Reactions: 1 users
Our Google efforts have yielded a ton of things that look like fun, so yes.

EDIT: wife loves watersports, and has insisted that there be a lake and kayak and such.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
when you decide you need a break from the heat...and you will...

part toy museum, part arcade, part bar.

we go every time we are in austin. it's the only thing the whole family, kids and adults, can agree on. we were once there for 6 hours and never got bored. If you were a child of the 80's/90's the nostalgia high is overwhelming.

My wife's family is from there, so we visit regularly. This place is a hidden gem.

Boerne tx. Best german food ya ever had

Planning a getaway for about a week in early August. Texans, I need your help.

Flying to Austin from where live is easy.

Mrs. Fox isn't as intrepid as I am, so don't suggest things too radical, but I need some big rocks and adventure.

All input appreciated.

Could go tubing at the Guadalupe River, drink some beer and just float and relax.

I’m a fan of Jester King brewing out in the hill country for beer/food in a gorgeous setting. I don’t know if they’re always BBQing out there but the last time I was there the food was competitive with the more famous places like Franklins etc. without the lines you get at the higher profile spots.

If you are coming to Austin, and just want to relax in the water I would rent a VRBO on Lake LBJ where the water is constant. Wake up to a beautiful sunrise, enjoy kayaking/wakeboard/paddleboard, watch the sunset.

From there, you are a 1 hr drive to anywhere in Austin/hill country if you want to do some sightseeing/wineries. There is Coopers BBQ in LLano that has one of the best BBQ in the area. The beef ribs are by far the best meat I have eaten.

For a relaxing trip, nothing beats being on LBJ water.

I have a few VRBOs on Lake LBJ and there is no better water in Central Texas.

Any cool rock climbing/hike spots that y'all would recommend?
I'm not bringing a harness and gear; but I could talk the wife into a half day with a guided outfit.

I'm not bringing a harness and gear; but I could talk the wife into a half day with a guided outfit.
Within Austin itself, take a look at the descriptions for Barton Creek Greenbelt, it seems to hit a lot of your wants like hiking + rock wall + views and water + waterfalls.
Lady Bird Lake (Ann & Roy Butler trail) trail is urban and crowded but you can rent kayaks, canoes, SUP along it. Mount Bonnell for a rocky hike to an outlook over the city.
https://do512.com/p/hiking-in-austin

The best places to go hiking in Austin ( this site has annoying popups)

Last edited:
Best place to climb sport routes is Reimers Ranch. You can climb 5.5 all the way up to 5.13+ there.

There are also granite routes in Enchanted Rock but less bolted routes and it requires more local knowledge to find your way around.

Any climbing in August can be brutal though. The rocks get hot and slippery when it’s 90+.

Reactions: 1 users
Going to have to save this thread. I'm moving to San Antonio this summer and have family in Buda that we'll see pretty regularly.

Any vacation is a good one. This one will be good, too.

Reactions: 2 users
Miraval resort is pretty cool,like an adult summer camp with spa stuff. They have hiking but I don't think they have climbing.