vacation time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cozmopak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the average vacation time for pathologists?

Members don't see this ad.

When I was interviewing, I heard everywhere from 4 weeks to 13 weeks. I would say a good average would be 6 to 8 weeks.

When I was interviewing, I heard everywhere from 4 weeks to 13 weeks. I would say a good average would be 6 to 8 weeks.

Thanks! Is that in the private setting or also in academics?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's private practice. I don't know how much academics get but really, how much vacation do you really need when you are reaping the intangible joys of working with medical students and residents?:rolleyes:

I would never hire you...A piker is
someone who walks at the bell. A piker
asks how much vacation time he gets in
the first year. See, people work here
to become filthy rich. No other
reason. That's it. You want vacation
time? Go teach third grade public
school.

I'm sorry cozmopak, but.....................

trump-youre-fired1.jpg

How much vacation time do you think is reasonable? Pam on "The Office" gets 2 weeks a year. I get 30 days, but it's 35 including CME stuff. I can take more time off but my pay is incrementally reduced.

I would always recommend not picking a job because of ancillary benefits. If you are picking a job because of the vacation time (or even because of the salary) you're probably going to get ****ed over. A colleague of mine had a job offer with 12 weeks of vacation time, starting salary $350 I think. Turned it down for one with less starting pay and about half the vacation time.

Picking a job because of these things is like picking a med school because of the student lounge or because of the patient-doctor class.

I would never hire you...A piker is
someone who walks at the bell. A piker
asks how much vacation time he gets in
the first year. See, people work here
to become filthy rich. No other
reason. That's it. You want vacation
time? Go teach third grade public
school.

You want vacation time? F you!
Vacation time is for signers...
A.B.S.
Always be signing...

(quote from Glen Garry Glen Ross pathology)

A.B.S.
Always be signing...

You know what it takes to practice pathology? Brass balls.

Money does make a difference... but not in the Obama world. You loose half your money before you get your paycheck, and then get wacked with the 21% decrease in money payed out for your work by the government. Heck go for the small things in life.... like vacation time!!

From previous LADOC post-

"If I did offer a position here is what it would be:
Starting salary of 130-150K, rocking socking hours like maybe 30 hours/week, awesome location and job site (because, well you would be working with me!), full benefits, max'd out 401K. 2-3 years to partner with 5% COLA raises with a buyin of about 150K that would be deducted out of your partner distribution.

I would sell it with guaranteed 2x4-day weekends at the beach per month starting day one, parties/social gatherings 2x/week with optional 9-10am start times the day after (now who does that??). Perhaps even throwing in weekend stays for you and romantic partner at the Ritz in Maui (corporate suite owned by us) once a year.etc.

Or how about this: working mom non-partner track, 15 hours a week (!!), 80K/year, full benefits for you and babies, bring the baby to work ability, lots of baby friendly perks etc.

what you all think? "

Umm, I hate to say it but both sounded pretty good to me and it wasn't because there was big bank to be made.

Working Mom Piker

A.B.S.
Always be signing...

As you all know, first prize is a partnership job.
Anyone want to see second prize? Second prize's a box of scalpel blades.
Third prize is you're fired.

As you all know, first prize is a partnership job.
Anyone want to see second prize? Second prize's a box of scalpel blades.
Third prize is you're fired.

Attention, interest decision, action. AIDA.

Are you interested? I know you are because its f@#k or walk. Decision. HAVE YOU MADE YOUR DECISION FOR CHRIST?

The urologists are out there waiting to give you their biopsies. Are you going to take them from them? (pause) Are you man enough to take them?