Step I Vaccination Q...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BlackNDecker

Paid da cost 2 be da bo$$
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We were taught that the MMR vaccine is postponed until 12 months b/c maternal Abs might prevent a "take" of the vaccine. If so, then why are other vaccines given as early as 2 months of age(i.e. DPT)?

If anything, it seems administering a conjugated toxin would bind and clear potentially protective maternal Ab's. Or is the purpose to promote APC endocytosis of the Ag-(maternal)Ig complex and subsequent presentation to CD4 cells?
 
BlackNDecker said:
Or is the purpose to promote APC endocytosis of the Ag-(maternal)Ig complex and subsequent presentation to CD4 cells?

This can't be right. Otherwise the CD4 cells could theoretically stimulate B cells to produce IgG, as well as IgA (via isotype switching)...which isn't produced w/ conjugate vaccines.

😕
 
BlackNDecker said:
This can't be right. Otherwise the CD4 cells could theoretically stimulate B cells to produce IgG, as well as IgA (via isotype switching)...which isn't produced w/ conjugate vaccines.

😕


I'm starting to feel like I'm talking to myself now 😳 I guess nobody's responding b/c I didn't mention the words: Goljan, Rapid Review, & BRS Path 😀

I think the answer relates to T cell Independet Ags...
"TI" antigens don't require Tcell help(obviously) because they generate a sufficient signal by either binding outside of the B cell receptor (a la LPS --> TLR4) or by thouroughly cross-linking 2 or more B cell receptors (similar to IgE cross-linking on the surface of mast cells --> degranulation).

I believe in this case the DPT antigens are cross-linking 2 or more mIgM or mIgD. A "normal" infant has produced adequate numbers of mature B cells by birth, and thus could elicit an Ab response independent of CD4+ cell activation.

Anyone have any other thoughts...?
 
BlackNDecker said:
I'm starting to feel like I'm talking to myself now 😳 I guess nobody's responding b/c I didn't mention the words: Goljan, Rapid Review, & BRS Path 😀


The reason nobody is answering you is because you always argue with anybody that tries to help. I mean geez, you tried to answer your own question and then argued with yourself that you were wrong. Get your head out of the books! 🙄
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LAZYGUY said:
The reason nobody is answering you is because you always argue with anybody that tries to help. I mean geez, you tried to answer your own question and then argued with yourself that you were wrong. Get your head out of the books! 🙄


I'll try to be less argumentative in the future... 👍

BTW, does this have anything to do with our NRDS disagreement? 🙄
 
BlackNDecker said:
I'll try to be less argumentative in the future... 👍

BTW, does this have anything to do with our NRDS disagreement? 🙄


lol, maybe....you're a smart guy, you will do great on the step.


good luck