vaccine research career path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowlybutshelly

ms4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done a lot of medical school rotations. One field I am interested in that I have not pursued is vaccine research. I am curious how one gets into this field? I have done some fieldwork in Africa; working for UNHCR in refugee camps in the 1990's. I checking immunization rates of children under 5 crossing the border from Mozambique into Malawi when the Mozambican civil war was ending. I wrote up a report; that was all.

I would appreciate any advice from anyone who may have suggestions on how to follow this path.

Members don't see this ad.

I have done a lot of medical school rotations. One field I am interested in that I have not pursued is vaccine research. I am curious how one gets into this field? I have done some fieldwork in Africa; working for UNHCR in refugee camps in the 1990's. I checking immunization rates of children under 5 crossing the border from Mozambique into Malawi when the Mozambican civil war was ending. I wrote up a report; that was all.

I would appreciate any advice from anyone who may have suggestions on how to follow this path.

Well the types of things you did sound more Public Health related. If you are interested in vaccine development, just find labs at your school in immunology/virology/microbiology that have vaccine development as a component of their work. Many labs do this.