Vague US letter or very strong foreing letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brazilianpsych

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I know there`s a thread for that, but my question is very specific and I really wanted some help here. I am a Brazilian psychiatrist applying this year, and I only have one US experience. I was supposed to have my second one soon, but it was cancelled due to covid. So I have one US letter and MAYBE I could get another one from this experience that I had, however, I only spent a few days with this attending. I am not even sure if he would write me a letter, to be honest, but I am also not sure if it`s even worthed.

Bottom point, what's better, a vague US letter or a very strong letter from my residency program in Brazil?

Thank you for all the input and sorry for creating this topic

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm confused about your question. You need 3, possibly 4 letters of recommendation. You need at least one letter from the US, and you need at least one letter from your residency program in Brazil. Your US letter should not be "vague". You can draft something for the psychiatrist to review and sign if you want them to include specific content that is lacking.

Where not possible to get US letter one can certainly apply without it, but the most competitive candidates have at least 8 weeks of US clinical experience and 1-2 letters of recommendation from physicians based at US medical schools or residency training programs.

I'm confused about your question. You need 3, possibly 4 letters of recommendation. You need at least one letter from the US, and you need at least one letter from your residency program in Brazil. Your US letter should not be "vague". You can draft something for the psychiatrist to review and sign if you want them to include specific content that is lacking.

Where not possible to get US letter one can certainly apply without it, but the most competitive candidates have at least 8 weeks of US clinical experience and 1-2 letters of recommendation from physicians based at US medical schools or residency training programs.

Sorry, forgot to mention the rest of it. So I'm currently with 3 Brazilian letters (one from my former PD) + 1 US letter. I'm just in doubt of getting this second American letter because I am not sure how strong it will be since I only worked a few days with this attending. I am just feeling very insecure, covid changed all my plans (but I guess that happened to almost everybody else too).

If you already have one US letter and don’t think you can get another strong letter then I would go for the brazilian one. Apart from having one US letter, best to have the strongest letters. Remember the American style is very different to rest of the world. Here good= bad so make sure your referees are knowledgeable about that