Vagus Nerve Stimulation Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OwlMyste

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have epilepsy and am wondering about what good the vagus nerve stimulation can do...I recently discovered that in addition to myoclonic seizures, I also have focal seizures. (the seizures where your whole body falls asleep...had to get rushed to the ER for that last week and thats what the ER Doc...Dr. Jorg Moreno said it was)
I did some research and was wondering about it and its success rate. what types of seizures does it treat? I'm kinda hoping to get off this medication I am on....also, what happens if I grow out of the seizures? and what other places, for aesthetic reasons, would the surgeon opt to put it? how long does the battery last? Anyone done the surgery before, and whats its success rate? thanks...

oh yea...anyone else here on epilepsy medicatrion? and if so what brand name and what doseage? mine is Depakote 250 mg twice a day with 1 mg folic acid once per day

Members don't see this ad.

Owl,

You reeeeeeeeeeeeeally shouldn't solicit this kind of opinion on a board like this. There's all sorts of people who are willing to share their ignorance. Here's the only opinion that anyone here should give you:

Go see a neurologist who specializes in epilepsy. You live in GA, right? I'd go to Emory, but that's just because I think highly of their other programs (don't know about neuro).

Please, please, please don't take any advice other than this.