Validity of Kaplan Diagnostic Test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license2kill

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I initially took the Kaplan blue book exam and did fare without being timed. After about a month of studying on my own, I signed up for the Kaplan DAT course so I took the diagnostic exam under test conditions on the computer. I my AA is 18 with an 18 on all three science sections. But my QR is 17 and PAT 16.

First of all, is this a good indicator of my true scores on a real DAT? If you have taken the $1200+ course from Kaplan, please tell me your experience from taking the diagnostic exam vs. taking the real exam.

Am I doomed with an AA of 18? I have a cumulative of 3.5 but my science GPA is much lower, I am guessing around 3.0-3.2 at best. I retook a couple of prerequisites b/c of C's initially and then got B+'s afterwards. Where do you think I stand compared to other applicants?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have taken the course and private tutoring from Kaplan for the DATs. Don't worry about the score on the diagnostic... i think they make it a tad hard because they want to make sure your last full-length dat score is higher than the diagnostic. that way they don't have to refund your money due to their higher score guarantee. Truthfully, your diagnostic isn't that bad... your scores will increase tho, no worries. The real exam is probably a little harder than any of kaplan's practice tests, but if you can apply what you learn from kaplan, you should be fine.

The Kaplan exams (not the ones in the blue book) are harder by design. I usually add 1 point to the Kaplan test. I took the class, but to be honest I could just study on my own. After attending couple classes, I stopped going. The only good thing was the practice tests. They have so many practice exams, I was very happy with that part. Your instructor might be different.
No, you're not doomed with AA of 18. I know so many people got in with that score. Keep studying for the DAT, and you'll do better. With your GPA, try to improve your DAT to 20. By then I think you're good. But even if you can't get it up to 20, with an 18 you'll still get interviews. You just gotta do really well on those interviews. Good luck with your exam! By the way, check out the DAT section in this forum. It's a great resource!!!

I have taken the course and private tutoring from Kaplan for the DATs. Don't worry about the score on the diagnostic... i think they make it a tad hard because they want to make sure your last full-length dat score is higher than the diagnostic. that way they don't have to refund your money due to their higher score guarantee. Truthfully, your diagnostic isn't that bad... your scores will increase tho, no worries. The real exam is probably a little harder than any of kaplan's practice tests, but if you can apply what you learn from kaplan, you should be fine.

Honestly, the higher score guaruntee or w/e has nothing to do with the final full length. I took the kaplan course last summer and asked them about it and they said that regardless of what my practice scores were, on the actual dat if I got a 26 but wanted a 28 (for example, not true of course ;)) i could apply for the guaruntee anyway...if you've done your homework, you basically just find an excuse and they'll let you practice/prep again. They are a little more strict when trying to get a refund...but I don't see the point of the refund. The Kaplan stuff works, if you put forth the time and effort.

Just my two cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. I guess alll I have left to do is study some more and then some till July 16th-D day.

If you take a Kaplan course then your AA will increase. No doubt in my mind.

Think about it. You took the diagnostic exam without studying at all. So after 3 months of intense studying with Kaplan how could your actual test score decrease? I just don't think it's possible. I know several people that only increased a couple points, but I also know many more people that increased by five or more points from the diagnostic, myself included.

Bottom line: if you put in the time with Kaplan's prep course then you will see results, there is just too much prep material for your score to decrease.

Hope this helps.